De-cat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scofield.1

Now sorting the horrible noise that turned out to be wheel bearing. Next is a de-cat.. any advice from those who have had this done?

Gary

MOT Failure without the CAT. If you have 2 lambda sensors you will need a MIL eliminator to stop the light coming up on the dash.

thank you.... keep the ideas coming folks.

Are you saying that if the lambda sensors are no longer present I will need a MIL eliminator?
and just in case you say yes.... what is it lol

Forget the Mil eliminator for the moment you will need to go for a 4 branch manifold as you can't just take out the cat from the existing set up (unless you smash it to bits inside). I've got a Piper 4 branch to fit and it looks like the offside drive shaft at least) will have to come out to fit the 4 branch from underneath. Once you've got your 4 branch in place if you aren't running a cat and you have 2 lambda sensors you will need the Mil eliminator on the 2nd Lambda sensor. Whichever way you look it's an expensive pain in the *ss conversion. Probably worth a few HP, though, as the existing manifold , downpipe and cat are horribly designed and restrictive.

You can get a four branch manifold through without taking the driveshaft out.

SENATEpumA said:

I bloody hope so! Just doing my clutch at the minute so hopefully if need be I can just fit it alongside the clutch otherwise I'll be getting all HULK SMASH on the thing! :x

After what Senate pumA wrote I had another look from underneath and it still looks like my Piper 4 branch won't go on without removing the Driveshaft as the 3rd cylinder pipe sticks out a long way from the gasket face which coincides with the narrowed opening caused by the bulge in the crossmember. If anyone's done it without driveshaft removal I would be glad to hear from them. Of course other 4 branches might be easier to fit.

I fitted my 4 branch manifold from the top, it was a bit of a squeeze but it went in. As I remember I removed the lower gearbox mount and tilted the engine to give me a bit more space. It was a Sportex system so it might be a slightly different design from the Piper?

to fit a 4-2-1 i found it's much easier to take the drivers side engine mount off and lower the engine with a jack, loads of room to slide it in underneath then

SENATEpumA said:
Ginger Tom said:
Jack the front of te car up, put axle stands either side of te car so it's level, take out the lower engine mount/torque link off and push the bottom of the engine forwards. That's the easiest way of putting it in, trust me
:lol:

Just fitted one two days ago.

Undo lower engine mount as above and then rock/tilt engine forward to get a bit more room.

Thanks guys I will give that a try. In a stroke of genius I realised that I've got a sewer running down my drive with a manhole cover above it. If I position the car above it and take the manhole off I will have loads of jiggling room....but it might be a stinky job!
Cheers anyway Barry

Lol if that works fair play to you...just don't drop anything in there though!!! :shock:

wow i tried forever through the top,i did the gearbox mount trick and it was easy just make sure the car is jacked up quite high and get someone to wiggle the engine for you

Gary you know where I am if you need a hand :)

Had the FRP decatted, and as for MOT you know I can sort that for you :)

Back