Dedicated Track Car Progress Thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would a gurney at the top of the window not direct the air away from travelling down the window once its hit it? Whereas a roof spoiler that has a gap between the car and the underside of the spoiler would force the air through a path following the gradient of the window.

Hope that made sense! I'm maybe not following you properly. :pinkeye:

As Stu explained to me, the airflow over the roof doesn't come up the middle, but up and over the sides. If you look at the roof from above, then put a triangle that goes from the front corners to the back middle, the outer bits are the airflow, which then comes down over the boot glass, about two inches above it, leaving a vacuum gap where the glass is, and then comes down to conatct with the boot edge. There's a lot of turbulence right behind the boot, and the gurney flap just settles it a bit, making it more stable for cornering, without affecting the drag significantly.

In short, having one at the top of the window would likely be a detriment as it would 'spoil' the airflow insetad of reducing turbulence, which is the purpose of having one right at the back. That's why the boot lid is the shape it is, because the prototype had a sloped boot in the same profile as the glass, but the car was exceptionally unstable, so they stuck a flat bit on. It was the same story with the old Audi TT, and look at drag cars with that big flat table top hanging off the back.

Hi all..
The quick answer is that the puma DOESN`T NEED any air forced onto its bootlid for a modest spoiler / gurney..

As TGplayer has bravely tried to explain (Hi Tom) the airflow is three dimensional over the car.
I will start a fresh thread (or possibly hijack sjoerds) to try to explain my thinking.

I`ve been trying to visualise what I`m saying using `Paint` but my skills are limited, maybe I should just make a video!!

Hi all..
The quick answer is that the puma DOESN`T NEED any air forced onto its bootlid for a modest spoiler / gurney to work effectively..

As TGplayer has bravely tried to explain (Hi Tom) the airflow is three dimensional over the car.
I will start a fresh thread (or possibly hijack sjoerds) to try to explain my thinking.

I`ve been trying to visualise what I`m saying using `Paint` but my skills are limited, maybe I should just make a video!!

And as for car progress,

It`s in pride of place on the drive, waiting for a couple of massive mods which will give me at least 10bhp (actual)

Watch this space!! - (I dont want to look like a cock if it doesn`t come off)

One thing that will be happening is the fitting of some Powerflex Black rear beam bushes at weekend :cool:

The puma didnt need a roof spoiler even to maximise downforce on the s1600 rally car.

If you really wanted to maximise airflow over any boot spoiler then a set of modest vortex generators placed carefully in the right place mid roof would keep the airflow attached for a bit longer meaning the air hitting a spoiler would be a little bit cleaner and thus cleaner air means you can use the spoiler a bit more efficiently.

However you dont need lots of rear downforce on a puma on track.

Even the F2 is a bit overkill at higher speeds - remember it was designed for tarmac rally speeds with a "loose" rear end on tight corners - and was balanced at the front with a large splitter and undertray.

I think an F2 with no gurney would probably be a better match on track. You could then balance the front with a decent splitter and perhaps some canards.

As planned I set about fitting some Powerflex Black poly-bushes today..
It was really a lot easier than I had imagined and took less than 3 hrs.

One of my bushes was knackered, and I`d been planning this for a while.
Originally I bought the Flow-Flex cheapos (which I have all round the front) and they got lost in the shed. So I picked up some `proper` track jobbies. Then the others showed up!

They are rock hard in comparison as you can see in my hardly scientific demonstration below..
The orange ones are shore 80 (same as powerflex purple) the black ones are shore 95
The flow-flex are for sale btw
I`ll be getting a couple of replacement bolts from Ford before I go anywhere in it,

I`m waiting on a delivery of some real goodies ;-)

Awesome mate, and never heard of 'shore' before but those figures (and test) give a great example of the difference/scale between them.

Rear bushes are my angels and demons. Although I have powerflex fronts I had them in the rears but with road driving was unforgivable, since running febi's the ride comforts been great, but then it ultimately suffers on track.

The orange are probably great on the road Neil,
I would say they aren`t much stiffer than new OE items.
a damn site easier to fit though..

I`m seriously looking at upgrading my front bushes.

Well the waitings over, I`ve been like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for Parcelfarce to pull their finger out (48hr=84hrs!)
But these babies were ripped open last night...

Genuine FRP jobbies :thumbs:

They look to be in great nick with no lobe wear and only very light scoring on on the bearing faces.
With this, and the FRP map Pumanoobs sorting me out with, I hope to be pumping out about 140 brake...

And in the market for a FRP/S1600 airbox :wink:

better than these sorry looking things
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251793228828?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
check out the bearing faces!

Are they rear beam bushes Stu? And I assume the orange ones in the pic are the ones for sale. If so what's the going rate?

A mate of mine, who is sadly hooked on Mondeos has very kindly let me have a throttle body from a Mk1 2.0 zetec.
This is a larger bore than the pumas and sounds like a bloody good idea on a track car till a frp airbox shows up for less than the price of a kidney.
Heres the Puma tb and the Mondy tb

Big difference, but still ripe for improvement...
so out came the £9.99 rip-off dremel and a few poundshop bits (I bought a few packs of different packs so I could see which ones were effective)
Here`s the results

I`m giving the MAF a less extreme but similar treatment and have my inlet off for porting.

Oulton Park in a fortnight :thumbs:

Am I right in thinking you've made that wider by grinding away at the inside? Did you do it all the way down?

No, all ive done is shape the leading edge into a `trumpet` to smooth the airflow using a `milling` bit.
Then i smoothed it all through with a flap wheel being very very careful to not touch where the butterfly sits
and then polished the bejesus out of the whole thing (internally)
My glamorous assistant went to work on the outside using a wire brush on the rotary tool.

The puma is 52mm (internal diameter) the mondy is 56mm.
The inlet is the same size (same inlet pipe) but the puma is much more fluted to the smaller butterfly.

Ah, is that what people mean when they go on about knife-edging a TB then? :pinkeye:

Yup, if you look at the top pics you can see the leading edge wall thickness is about 5mm!
rounding this gives you much cleaner air at the butterfly.

Hi Tom.
The throttle cable mechanism is different and you need to sheckle something together from a donor puma tb.
the tps is slightly different too, but bolts straight on.
Other than that its just a case of porting the inlet to match (+2mm all round)

might see you at Oulton on the 14th but I won't be in the Puma...shared driving a Civic we built for a customer

Latest posts

Back