Differences between 1.6 and 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emk

Tried to search the forum for answers but wasn't any lucky with that. So basically the question is: What would it take to make a 1.7 Puma exactly like 1.6 version?

May sound a dumb question, but in Finland the 1.6 is very rare and that's what I need to make a race-Puma according to rules. So as I have the 1.6 engine (including engine wiring+ecu), I'm curious about other changes. Things that first came to my mind:

- Is the gearbox (also the ratios!) same, if not is the 1.6 gearbox same with some other Ford that has this same 1.6 engine?
- Is the wiring (other than engine wiring+ecu) same for 1.6 and 1.7?

Are there any other changes between these models (bumbers, interior, etc.)? Everything is crucial as the rules in the class I'm aiming for are very strict about keeping the car original.

:lol:

To be honest, that would work just fine :wink: Or even 1.4, so I'd have something to explain the 16-year-olds overtaking me from both sides with some VTS C2's :roll:

Anyone with any ideas? I should make decisions tomorrow considering a Puma for sale, still haven't found any info about the differences... So few 1.6 ones anyway.

It's mainly the loom, engine and gearbox. The interior, exterior, brakes etc are all the same, wheels are the same, alot of those things are age dependant but here 1.6s have the later 9 spoke 15" alloy wheels with the 258mm brakes I believe however on the continent there seems to be more Pumas without ABS.

Thanks!

Wheels and ABS don't matter as long as the brakes itself are same. So as I've got the right engine, loom and ecu I think I'll give it a go. If there comes any problems than I just have to consider buying a 1.6 version abroad to get the necessary parts.

Well looking at it they both seem to accept the MDC1030 from Mintex so i'd say it's quite likely they are the same.

Latest posts

Back