Do I need Indicator stalk?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micheal x

My steering lock doesn't turn the indicator off in one direction when I indicate left on my 2001 black 1.7 16V Puma. Any ideas what part would need replacing, just the full indicator stalk module or something else?

If so what type of indicator stalk would I need?

Is this the correct one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/97-02-FORD-PUMA-INDICATOR-WIPER-STALK-SWITCHES-/271547614709?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f397fc5f5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hiya Michael,firstly its very likely you need an indicator stalk to solve this problem, however you could just choose to turn it off manually.

Secondly there is no such thing as an indicator stalk for 97 to 02 Pumas. There are two types an earlier set and a later set with programmable wipe, the two are not interchangeable and if you fit the wrong one it will continually blow fuses.

I had a year 2000 car and it had the later type on it. However you need to get a good look at yours and find out which one it is before buying. :thumbs:

Does indeed sound like the stalk mechanism has failed.

XS6T-11K665-CA on that car.

I've got them, and it'll be right.

So changed the indicator stalk however the problem still persists i have been told that the problem is being caused by a disc inside the steering wheel can someone advise what this disc is (Part name and number)?

It's part of the wheel. Assembly tested? Please explain I'm a Newbie when it comes to car mechanics.

The the bit which hits the stalk is on the steering wheel I think he meant.

The second part was; was the stalk you bought tested and confirmed as working correctly?

I think Ian means that the disc you mentioned is part of the steering wheel not a separate part. And he's asking if the indicator stalk unit was tested by the seller as he tests them before he sells them.

quest63 said:
I think Ian means that the disc you mentioned is part of the steering wheel not a separate part. And he's asking if the indicator stalk unit was tested by the seller as he tests them before he sells them.

Thank you kind sir.

Mine has the same issue, and reading that it could be the disc on the wheel makes me wonder if its best to just leave it alone :)

I changed one on my Mk5 Fiesta a few months ago, and it didnt cure the problem. However, I found that if I put some packing under the top cover, when it was fixed down it put enough pressure on the stalks to get them to self cancel (quite odd after a few months of having to cancel the right turn myself! :-D ).

Okay, I'm suffering from a similar problem here in that the left indicator doesn't always cancel. It was a bit of an issue (and a few scary moments on my behalf!!) but have got use to it.

Now the Full Beam stays on sometimes when I flick it off. A quick tap on the stalk soon sorts it out but I'm guessing my stalk is on it's way out and am worried it may fail completely.

Thoughts & ideas (costs & how to fix) please.

Cheers Peeps. :grin:

Replace the stalk.

Need to know the year of the car and if its near a changeover point, the build date either from the reg or the rightmost letters in the VIN - AA12345 - AA is the date, ignore the 12345.

Or whip the cover off with the two pozi screws one either side of the cowl and have a look at the part number.

Ian G said:
[post]325779[/post] Replace the stalk.

Need to know the year of the car and if its near a changeover point, the build date either from the reg or the rightmost letters in the VIN - AA12345 - AA is the date, ignore the 12345.

Or whip the cover off with the two pozi screws one either side of the cowl and have a look at the part number.

Hello mate, bringing an old thread back to life :)

The build date of my Puma is 27/01/1999 - could you let me know, if possible, the part number for a new indicator/wiper stalk please?

Cheers,

Steve.

Latest posts

Back