Do me a favour Dai...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Well another one anyways. You've got a 1.7 head kicking around, mind pulling off the rocker cover and giving the inlet cams and pulleys a twiddle. I'm curious about the VCT mechanism, I seem to remember hearing that there's a pin that locks it in place, any idea whether this is true/can you see anywhere where such a thing would go?

Cheers

I've got a complete 1.7 head in my shed and a day off tomorrow. Might have a tinker ;)

EDIT : Oh.. you ment me! Thought you had a welsh friend on here..
I'm DAL, not DAI..lol

Doh!

See here:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In short:

There's a housing on the camshaft end that allows oil to be funneled into it - being controlled by a solenoid. Dependant on the pressure of the oil, and the position of the solenoid depends on how far advanced, or retarted the timing of said cam is.

Another reason to make sure your oil level is ok.

Aye, there's two helical gears, one inside the other and a solenoid valve which applies higher and lower pressures to each side to control the cam angle.

What I'm angling at is there a way to lock the two gears together? It'd make sense if there was a pin to align them in a neutral position like the TDC pin for cambelt changes. I'm trying to figure out how you get the mechanism to stay in the right place when you put the belt back on, there must be some way of checking it's alignment.

Hmmm - couldn't see any holes like that - sorry.

Back