DOT 5 or 5.1 brake fluid in a puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaNoob

Has anyone used a higher rated brake fluid then dot 4 in a puma? Thinking of upgrading to either one, but cant find information on weather the chemical composition of dot 5 is compatible with the puma componants.

Thanks in advance

Brilliant thanks!!! my next question was going to be if anyone with an FRP has used it with Alcon calipers, but youve already answered it. Sorted!

DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid. See info here:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Brake-Fluid-Explained.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DOT 5.1 in mine too ;)

IIRC I picked a particular one which had a certain 'base' errrrmmmm - let me get back to you on that :lol:

Nope, can't remember but it was something to do with it being less susceptable to water contamination or something like that :lol:

yes its less hygroscopic, super blue racing is good for not boiling so easily but is more hygroscopic, 5.1 is less hygroscopic but will boil easier

defo not dot5!..

some companies call it Super dot 4 instead of 5.1 so people know it's compatible and they sell more... castrol have re-labelled theirs again calling it react synthetic... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-React-Response-High-Performance-Synthetic-Brake-Fluid-/300695493048?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4602d919b8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is good stuff ! :cool:

My main reason is for a higher boiling point, and better braking with hotter fluid. My brake lines are close to the exhause and downpipe, and even though ive heat wrapped the exhaust and heat shielded the pipes, i want to take all the precautions i can, ive not driven the car hard and properly pushed it yet, so dont want to find my brake fluid is insufficient when i need it most.

Hi, do you think i could convert my rear brake drums on my 1.7 to discs? And if i can, do i buy rear calipers or can i buy front calipers and use them?

Welcome Martin iirc theres the options to use FRP rear brakes and ST170 rear brakes possibly others as well. Give the search feature a bash for details.

I wouldn't reccomend using front brakes on the rears, you need to try and keep the braking proportions with front and rear at a safe level. You would have as much braking force on the rear as the front, & your car wouldn't be stable, so you'd need a bias valve. You'd also need to fit a hydraulic handbrake as there would be no locking mechanism on the brakes. And you would probably need a bigger master cylinder as the small puma one might not cope with the capacity.

You can fit the rear stub axles from a mk1 focus, although you'll need to redrill for abs sensors. Also the ST150 rears are the same. The ST170 holds the caliper slightly further away from the centre of the disc allowing bigger discs to fit. But all the rear calipers as the same on focus, ST150, ST170, and FRP.

Only other thing to change is handbrake cable, FRP one fits best, but most use the focus cable.

front calipers on the rear would be terrible, massive play in the brake pedal, 60/40 or 70/30(wet) is normally the aim for distribution

Back