ECU help.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi.

My Puma is a 2000 reg which should have a DIVE ECU. I have fitted a replacement engine from a 2001 51 plate car that has done 27K. What ECU would have been on the 51 plate car?

The reason I ask is the car with the replacement engine runs very well apart from idle which is a bit low and slightly erratic. So I was wondering that if the 51 car had a different ECU I may have to change sensors or MAF from the 2000 car engine onto the 51 plate engine to match my ECU.

Regards,
Richard

I would of thought a 51 plate car would have the dive ecu, the 52 plate car I've just got rid of had a dive ecu.

Hi Richard
My 51 plate car has a DIVE ECU as yours has. I would have thought all your car needs is an idle valve re-set which is available on Forscan. If you have a laptop the answers in your hands for about £7.
Barry

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
The reason I ask is the car with the replacement engine runs very well apart from idle which is a bit low and slightly erratic.

This is a symptom of clogged MAF. Clean MAF with brake cleaner. Only spray, no touching the wire! Spray from at least 15 cm distance, short bursts to prevent the stream of cleaner damaging the wire element. It is most probably brown to black, it should be silver shiney. It will surely improve idleing and throttle response and might solve all the problems.
I had a case of a puma that would not rev past 5000 rpm as if it hit the wall. Cleaned MAF and back to full power!
Mine had slightly erratic idle, after cleaning the MAF it is rock steady at 800-ish rpm.
After cleaning I would reccomend disconnecting the battery to erase the adaptive values in PCM. Start it up and leave it idleing until 2 cycles of fan activation are completed. During that period add strain on engine at idle by switching on A/C, lights, cabine fan etc. In all combos and one at the time. Do not touch the accelerator pedal. This procedure will make sure your PCM has stored proper idleing values for each situation.
Hope it helps,

Sinisa

Hi.
Thanks for the helpful replies. I swapped the idle vale from the other engine....no change. My next port of call was the MAF. I gave it an intensive go with carb cleaner. It is now much improved, may swap the MAF of the other engine as well. As a side issue does gas flowing the MAF make any noticeable difference.
Regards Richard

Richard, if you have cleaned it with carb cleaner, go over it again with brake cleaner. Carb cleaner leaves behind an oily residue (like WD40) which is interfering with the proper functioning of the MAF. Brake cleaner will dissolve everything and evaporate completely leaving the heated wire exposed as it should be and thus enable MAF to operate to its full potential.
Gas flowing MAF would make it less of inlet loss and better filling of the engine, however, you would need to remap the engine to get it inline with the new operating conditions it is unaware of (basically it would start working on leaner side as more air will enter it and the fuel injection quantity will remain the same)

Glad you have improved things! :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back