ECU Reset for K&N Panel Filter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longyear

Hey y'all,

I fitted a new K&N Panel Filter as a replacement for the standard paper filter last week ........ should I have reset the ECU after the change ?

I didn't and haven't noticed any probs but just wondering?

Cheers :thumbs:

A K&N panel filter will not give you any noticeable performance increase regardless of ECU reset (unless your old filter was *very* dirty), but it will make your engine sound noisier. That's about it.

evilrob said:
A K&N panel filter will not give you any noticeable performance increase regardless of ECU reset (unless your old filter was *very* dirty), but it will make your engine sound noisier. That's about it.

I know :wink:

I didn't buy it for any performance increase whatsoever, I bought it for the change in tone above 5k, which I'm getting, and pleased with.

The question was more just around whether the ECU needs resetting to prevent any issues, not to try and get it to increase power at all. :thumbs:

Longyear said:
because they're expecting 10bhp from their new air filter lol! .... for me, it's just about the audio. :grin:
Apart from slightly better throttle response, thats the reason I have an induction kit.... Makes the front sound as good as the back!! :cool:

One of my fellow students did a long study about these air filters. He had the performance tested on 6 or 7 different engines on the Dynamometer. In most cases the performance was even reduced :roll:

That is an acknowledged problem with the filters which were originally cynically marketed as 'go faster' bits.

What's worse is that the power loss increases markedly over a relatively short mileage.

You may have personal views on aftermarket filters guys, but come on, a cotton panel filter in place of a paper filter, still in the original airbox, still with the air feed as Ford intended is not going to reduce power. :roll: ... Badly installed Induction filters that are drawing hot engine bay air, yes, ..... cotton panel filters in the original airbox... no.

Will it make the car fast... no. But the comments above clearly state that was never the aim. Will they make the car slower... no.

Longyear said:
You may have personal views on aftermarket filters guys, but come on, a cotton panel filter in place of a paper filter, still in the original airbox, still with the air feed as Ford intended is not going to reduce power. :roll: ... Badly installed Induction filters that are drawing hot engine bay air, yes, ..... cotton panel filters in the original airbox... no.

Will it make the car fast... no. But the comments above clearly state that was never the aim. Will they make the car slower... no.
And are we really bothered about chucking our cars on a Dyno to see what performance increases these filters give, knowing full well they really give us naff all...? Nope, we aren't... and if my induction kit had of given me a noticable reduction in performance (as in what I 'think' and not what a Dyno says..), or badly effected it in any way, it would have been taken off quicker than anything.
I did research into these 'performance' filters before I bought one. Hence why mine is one which is enclosed with a cold air feed, not a huge cone that just sits there sucking all the hot air in.

Latest posts

Back