Electric Window going down but not up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartieG

Hi,
Wonder if anyone can advise??

After my passenger door got slammed a little too hard (eek!), the electric window stopped working. Well, it goes down ok, and I can hear the motor turn briefly (1/2 second or so) when I try and put the window up, but I get no movement at all and the motor stops. It comes down slightly when driving and I need to pull it back up manually (not always easy). Not great for security either as someone can just slide it down with their bare hands to gain access to the car!

Took the inside panel off the door and had a look, difficult to get in to see properly though. There is a green piece of plastic attached to the metal runner. A very tiny piece (few millimetres) of this green plastic has broken off, think this may be the cause of the problem? I can see (and just about reach) the motor and cable turning.

I'm assuming that this is a job for a proffessional, any ideas on cost?
Or can anyone recommend a (relatively) easy way to fix this?

Thanks guys,
Stu :)

Hi Stu... don't know if this will help or not...!

I had a problem with my window. It would go down, but not up, although the motor was working.

After investigating, the green piece of plastic you mentioned had broke. The wire cable from the motor has like a bit crimped onto it. This crimped bit sits in a recess in the green plastic which then allows it to go up and down with the wire/motor.
I spoke to a Ford dealer who told me I would have to buy the whole motor mechanism... a good couple of hundred quids worth.
I ended up making a hole in the green plastic. In this hole, I pushed through a small piece of metal with a notch in it. This notch went around the wire, thus holding the crimped bit in place, allowing the window to go back up. I did this almost a year ago, and it still works.

It is very hard to describe, but if you are very desperate, I can remove the door trim and get a photo for you.

Edit: You can remove the bolts that hold the window onto the green plastic bit, to allow you enough room to remove it fom the runner. But make sure you put some tape on one side of the window, over the top of the door and stick it to the window the other side. If not, you will be hoovering the window out of the door!! :eek:k:

Topmansparkie, that's a good idea. My sisters passing window is doing the very same thing so a photo would be brill of ur crafty skills.
Paul

Hi,
I have similar problem. It goes down just fine but has difficulty going up. Some photos would be nice if you get some spare time :)

I am working late afternoon to 11pm this week. I have to take my door panel off anyway so I will do this tomorrow morning then post a couple of pics for you all.

Hopefully, this guide should solve the problem of the window not going up or down, assuming that the green part within the door has broken and the cable lug is able to pull through it. You just need to put the small piece of metal either above the cable lug or below it depending on which direction the window will/wont go.

This guide is for the drivers door. Any directions given for removing parts can be reversed for the passenger side.

I will assume that you have already removed the door trim...

Firstly, make sure the window is fully up, then put some tape over the window:
08042011015.jpg

** You will need the tape unless you want to hoover the window out of the bottom of the door very shortly! **

Undo the two large screws which hold the window onto the green plastic runner:
08042011016.jpg

** Good idea to use a magnetic screwdriver it you have one, although the screws should end up in the bottom of the door if you do drop one **

Connect the window button (only have to do drivers side, black plug on mine) and turn on ignition. Press the window down button. The green plastic part should lower. If not, you may need to help it. Lower it until it is about here:
08042011018.jpg

** Lowering to this position puts the green part at the widest part of the door **

The green part comes off the runner by twisting it to the right (clockwise if looking from above). Push the left side away from you first, then the right side will come away by pulling it to the right.
Once it is away from the runner, It takes a a few attempts, but you can turn/manipulate the green part while using the window up/down buttons to allow you to be able to completely twist it round so you can get the rear side of it.

In this photo, you will see a hole above there the lug on the cable is. Here there should have been a piece of plastic which holds the lug. The hole was made slightly larger to allow me to put my piece of metal through. Don't make the hole too big, it needs to be a snug fit.
08042011023-1.jpg

I cut a small piece of metal to put through from the rear side of the plastic.
08042011022.jpg

And you can see it here:
08042011020-1.jpg

And here:
08042011019.jpg

The metal must be flush with the green part on the rear side and should not protrude further that the metal lug on the cable on the front side.
Don't worry about the bit of metal falling out. We put it through the rear of the green part as the window mounting bolts onto the rear side, thus holding the bit of metal between the cable and the window mounting.

Now that is done, manipulate the green part back onto the runner.
Use the window up button to raise the green part back up to the window.
Put in the screws and do up but not too tight yet.
Remove tape from window.
I decided to carefully, a bit at a time, wind the window down and back up to hopefully get it to settle in the right place before I tightened the screws.
After tightening screws, another quick check to make sure window operates as it should.
While the door trim is off, this may be a good opportunity to add a bit of grease to the runner.
Re-fit door trim.

Job done!

Topmansparkie, Thankyou very much!

Bit short of time at the moment but I'll give it a shot next week let you know how I get on.

Again, I can't thank you enough!
Stuart

I will definatly be trying this with the help of the bf, as I have had this problem for a while.thanks

amymarlow85 said:
I will definatly be trying this with the help of the bf, as I have had this problem for a while.thanks
Im glad I can (hopefully) help!

Perhaps if anyone else tries this and gets good results could they let me know. I may ask the Mods if we can 'Sticky' it or whatever it is they can do...!! :grin:

topmansparkie said:
amymarlow85 said:
Im glad I can (hopefully) help!

Perhaps if anyone else tries this and gets good results could they let me know. I may ask the Mods if we can 'Sticky' it or whatever it is they can do...!! :grin:

This is a great fix and helped a lot to diagnose the fault with my daughter's car.

Sadly, the plastic on hers is too badly damaged for this fix to work.

Is there a "how to" on fixing a whole new regulator as they seem nice and cheap from breakers?

Thanks.

M.

I had to replace my drivers door but still have the old one (and window mechanism) stood up behind a bush at the back of my house.

Looking at that, it looks like it is three bolts holding the actual motor, and a couple of rivets which would need drilling out which hold the runner. It all should pull out through the large gap in the bottom of the door.

Refitting would be the reverse of removal: couple of new rivets, re-bolting the motor...

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected.... :grin:

Would it be incredibly cheeky to ask (if you have time) for snap of the cardless door so I can see the mount points? ;)

Thanks

M

This should help:

26092011273.jpg

Window motor mounting: Three nuts on the left
Window rail: Rivets, one at the top and one at the bottom of the silver rail.

...and job done... :)

The rivets proved quite hard to drill out (fortunately I had some super hard bits tucked away), but other than that the job was a doddle.

Thanks for the assistance.

M.

massive thanks for all this info as I have the same problem with my new baby and I wanna get it sorted asap. Can't find better info than this! :grin:

Wow, I'd forgotten about this thread!

Hope you get yours sorted!

I only 'repaired' mine as at the time I didn't know anyone to get good spares from and I was too tight to get ripped off at a breakers.

Latest posts

Back