Electric Window going down but not up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone have any recent photos of this fix? my passenger side window has done the same, i was tempted to fill the recess where the wire sits full of superglue to see if this would hold it. It maybe a bodge but if it works i wont mind :)

hello... sorry for necroposting, but guys, i need these photos :( please help...

I was the member who did the fix and posted the original pictures, but unfortunately I don't have them any more.

If I can get some pictures of the window mechanism from the Internet, I could try and make some sort of picture up to show how I repaired it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-electric-window-motor-regulator-passenger-near-side-V97FB-C23201-BK-/171402269110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-electric-window-motor-regulator-drivers-off-side-OSF-V97FB-C23200-BK-/171576804892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guys thanks... Ill try to hunt then down... I have bookmarked The posts... I am from Romania, no garage so plastic work will have to wait... I will be in search for some plastic locators to put back the door panel cause some are broken and I fixed with some weak double adhesive... So spring breaking will kick in with the service until then I want to get all the knowledge :)

Appreciate all the help!

Hopefully this will make some sense. I've tried to show this as simply as possible.

The window failing to go up could be caused by the cable pulling out of the green plastic runner due to the plastic breaking.

It is possible to remove the plastic part from the runner and twist it round so you can see the back side of it. You should be able to see which part of it the cable pulls through as the plastic will be broken or mangled. That is the area we want to fix.

Cut out a small square hole from the green plastic part. There will be a 'blob' of metal crimped on to the winder cable, so when you cut the hole in the plastic, it needs to be either above or below the 'blob' depending on what side is broken.
We then cut a small piece of metal and put a notch in one end. The notch must be big enough for the cable to go through, but small enough so the 'blob' on the cable wont pull through it.

Push the piece of metal through the green plastic so the notch goes round the cable. This piece of metal will now stop the 'blob' on the cable from pulling through the plastic.

NOTES:
The hole in the plastic must be sized so the metal fits tight in the hole.
The metal piece cannot be too big so it doesn't catch/foul any moving parts and must sit flush on the side it was pushed in.
Ensure the metal 'blob' on the cable is positioned correctly in the plastic before you push the metal piece in.
The metal piece pushes in to the plastic from the 'flat' side as shown in the picture. When the window is screwed back on to the green plastic runner, it will stop the metal plastic piece from working itself out.

If the re are any questions, please ask - I'll try and help where I can.

If this still isn't clear enough, and someone can give me a green plastic part and the cable, I will do this again and then post up pictures of the actual fix.

Thanks to IanG for the web links.

Guys, no problem with the language... I am quite fluent in english :D so understanding is not a problem.

Well here are already 2-3 degrees celsius, breaking apart plastics at this temperature will make problems... I'll wait for a hoter day, then i will unmount the side panel, remove the speaker too, and repair, the window, check on the left mirror heating, and change the speaker, and on the right side, same, remove the panel, check window, change speaker, check the push button for the door... bookmarked this topic and will let you know on my puma progress, also will leave a feedback here too

hi i have problems with my electric windows so was looking on this thread but pictures have been removed could you please put pictures back up thankyou and also would a passenger side motor work on a drivers side?

thanks anyone for help

Jason

:p :pose: :eek:k:

have same problem too.
Currently I have wedged a lump of wood in to prop up the window, like a washing line, to stop it falling down. Unfortunately I have put all back together before I found this post, I did find a little bit of broken plastic, so all the symptoms are there.
Do I need to remove regulator from door, to do this fix?
plastic I assume is a bit brittle, hence why its broken, how do you suggest cutting the plastic? Stanley Knife?

Hi rossf...

I think the plastic does turn a little brittle over time, so maybe if something like the window sticking slightly after not being opened for a while may be enough to break it.

I can't remember how I made the hole to be honest. If I were to do this now I would use a small drill bit to make a starting hole then finish it off with a small file or Stanley knife if the plastic is soft enough/blade is strong enough.

I didn't remove the regulator. I found the cable had just enough slack in it to enable me to twist the plastic round to get access to it.

Hi all, I had the same issue and ended up here -great place :)
So encouraged by CherryVimto (thanks man!) I removed the panel, twisted the green piece and saw the problem; now "cutting metal" is not smthing I can actually do (living downtown and not even have a garage) so I just force-screwed a simple screw (yes) on the green piece, where the plastic "top" was missing, and Tadah! problem solved, took me minutes, 1 screw and 1 screwdriver :cool:
Sorry I didn't take a pic of the result, but here you can see what the issue looks like:
ACtC-3eJIV8RV_-xv9d4lqRNEp8XzvpwYIkNjmyfRJ7wC28K1x11HClReBuEAvtJ750clNaDwCcQhSn7bbPM0KBBMNRnGhbrlVzo_VDEycS_3ZYE1mdkSYZaITKX102kPef-90EwskNVVnOybj6WoZiphVNr=w1280-h720-no

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SErMgtEZPutv15WeA

Thanks for posting the picture.. at least others should now be able to see what causes this problem :cool:

Glad you fixed it so simply.. those fixes are always the most rewarding! :lol:

Hopefully this will make some sense. I've tried to show this as simply as possible.

The window failing to go up could be caused by the cable pulling out of the green plastic runner due to the plastic breaking.

It is possible to remove the plastic part from the runner and twist it round so you can see the back side of it. You should be able to see which part of it the cable pulls through as the plastic will be broken or mangled. That is the area we want to fix.

Cut out a small square hole from the green plastic part. There will be a 'blob' of metal crimped on to the winder cable, so when you cut the hole in the plastic, it needs to be either above or below the 'blob' depending on what side is broken.
We then cut a small piece of metal and put a notch in one end. The notch must be big enough for the cable to go through, but small enough so the 'blob' on the cable wont pull through it.

Push the piece of metal through the green plastic so the notch goes round the cable. This piece of metal will now stop the 'blob' on the cable from pulling through the plastic.

NOTES:
The hole in the plastic must be sized so the metal fits tight in the hole.
The metal piece cannot be too big so it doesn't catch/foul any moving parts and must sit flush on the side it was pushed in.
Ensure the metal 'blob' on the cable is positioned correctly in the plastic before you push the metal piece in.
The metal piece pushes in to the plastic from the 'flat' side as shown in the picture. When the window is screwed back on to the green plastic runner, it will stop the metal plastic piece from working itself out.

If the re are any questions, please ask - I'll try and help where I can.

If this still isn't clear enough, and someone can give me a green plastic part and the cable, I will do this again and then post up pictures of the actual fix.

Thanks to IanG for the web links.

Thanks for this excellent description of this fault. The repair has worked a treat.

Attachments

• IMG_8726.jpeg
    IMG_8726.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I had the same problem with my driver’s side window recently, just as I was leaving for my holiday in Italy, so my temporary fix was a piece of wood stuck in the door to keep the window closed. You can imagine it was really fun at the Italian toll gates and every carpark with a gate. :)
IMG_0548.jpeg
Luckily, the piece of wood lasted in it’s place for almost 4000 kilometres and I didn’t have to remove the door cards somewhere in the middle of Italy. 😆

This was the second time the window mechanism failed on me. The first time I just swapped it for another one, but now I realised that it would be just a matter of time before it would failed again, if I swapped it for yet another used mechanism, so I tried to fixed this one.
IMG_0552.jpeg
It was the same type of failure the guys before me in this thread described. The piece of plastic just couldn’t handle the strain from the mass of the window glass and the force that was needed to lift the window. All this was helped by the degradation of the plastic material after 25 years. I think this piece will eventually fail on all Pumas, because of the poor design.

So the first step was properly degrease and clean the affected area. Then I stuffed some kneading resin to the acces hole for the cable - see the picture below.
IMG_0613.jpeg
After that I have bent up a little strip of metal sheet and cut a groove for the cable in it. I have used this strip as a ’fence’ for metal epoxy resin that I have poured into the broken plastic piece - photo below.
IMG_0612.jpeg
Then I properly cleaned everything and lubricated all the moving parts and the metal rail to relieve the strain of the mechanism a little bit. I also bought a dry PTFE lubricant to apply on the window rubbers and inside of the frame to lower the friction between the glass and the frame, but I am yet to try that out and let you know if that helps at all. But so far, the fixed mechanism is working just fine and I hope this fix is permanent.

I hope this little ‘tutorial’ will help someone. :)

Latest posts

Back