Endangered species - How many left figures out

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.
The figures are out for Q1 2018. Taxed 4784, sorn 3739. Still disappearing at an alarming rate and the source of spares is disappearing with them. I have decided l need to stock pile spares that are and will soon be no longer available. Unlike other classics there will not be much of a market for companies to even consider it worth while to remanifracture spares.

Regards
Richard.

Hi Richard
Best thing to do is buy another car that's the same as yours in fully working condition and strip it for spares. As you say some spares will be NLA so you will have a cheap stockpile. The SORN figures could change overnight as the Puma Thunder I'm stripping is SORNed but it will never come back on the road.
Barry

Hi Barry and Richard

Interesting points made. What would you say are the key items to stockpile? I already have a few items (courtesy of Barry from a while back!) but I don’t have the space or skill to be stripping a donor car. Thinking it might be a good idea to look at the getting replacement sills from Expressed steel panels for starters. Anything else that will be key?

Will

Hi Will
Basically any item that's specific to your Puma like Engine, ECU and lockset, instruments etc. The easiest and cheapest way to buy all that is to buy your same model but as an MOT failure but with everything working and low mileage is a bonus.
I'm sure that someone told me that rear windows are no longer available so imagine having to scrap your car just for a broken rear window!
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Will
Basically any item that's specific to your Puma like Engine, ECU and lockset, instruments etc. The easiest and cheapest way to buy all that is to buy your same model but as an MOT failure but with everything working and low mileage is a bonus.
I'm sure that someone told me that rear windows are no longer available so imagine having to scrap your car just for a broken rear window!
Barry

Yep, rear quarter windows and tailgate glass are all NLA

Hi all.

The latest figures are out Q2 of 2018 saw a drop of 400 total on the road is now down to 4384. SORN has dropped by 21 down to 3711. I am after a rust free passenger side front wing and have been contacting local brakers yards not a single yard out of the six l contacted had one. It would appear second hand spares are perhaps getting that bit more difficult to find.

Regards
Richard

This is one of the big problems, I think, Richard - Parts replacement. On one of my last repairs even Ford didn't have the OEM Parts for the Handbrake. There are still quite a few Pumas around, but they will fall away quickly without assistance keeping them on the road. Even mine - I've spent (to me) a large amount of money on it - yet still need those elusive Rear Arches and Inner Arches... without them there will come a point that I'll have to let mine go. Even now I'm reluctant to spend more money on it until I know it will be worth it in the long run.

Quite why Expressed Steel haven't got around to manufacturing them when there is clearly a demand is puzzling (and very frustrating - they do 41 panels for a Hillman Avenger, FFS - I can't remember the last time I even saw one of those cars!).

There may yet be hope. I gave Expressed Steel a body shell I had stripped last year. Probably so busy they have not been able to get around to it.

Hi.

The latest figures are out for Q3 2018. On the road 4036 down 348, next quarter should see the numbers well under the 4 k mark, in fact l think it safe to say at this moment the Q4 the numbers could well already be around 3750ish. Sorn 3723, up by 12. I wonder how many of the Sorn Pumas will get back on the road in the future. I am looking to get hold of a spares doner car soon which will be sorn but never be on the road again.

Regards,
Richard.

Well if it's anything to go by, I keep an eye on my old one which has been SORN since 2013 and I know it's still locked away somewhere in the Country. Also my brothers old one is SORN since 2014 but no idea of it's current use (if any).

tuonokid said:
Hi Richard
Best thing to do is buy another car that's the same as yours in fully working condition and strip it for spares. As you say some spares will be NLA so you will have a cheap stockpile. The SORN figures could change overnight as the Puma Thunder I'm stripping is SORNed but it will never come back on the road.
Barry

AGREE!!
A not too looked after example can be still had for the mid to high hundreds..
mot failures and rusty arch version for even lower...
Ive seen quite a few non runners and what I believe to be probably only sensor issues for scrap value ...
** i got mine for £140 mainly coz the guys daughter had dumped it on his drive for 2 years and brought another for £190 and spent two weeks stripping it for everything.. (minus windscreen .. I cracked it
:-D

Hi.

Figures for Puma's for Q2 2019 are as follows
1.4 licenced 301 sorn 361
1.7 licensed 3320 sorn 3721
Black licensed 223 sorn 219
Millennium 129 sorn 221
Thunder licensed 462 sorn 324

Regards
Richard

Hi
I need to get mint quality Thunder special parts now before they all go, especially the interior.
And buy a Millie.
Kind regards Ian

43920881.jpg

Government figures for "how many left" 2021 Q3

FORD PUMA 325
FORD PUMA 1.4 1.6V 155
FORD PUMA 1.7 16V 1938
FORD PUMA BLACK 104
FORD PUMA MILLENNIUM 99

:'(

This is the latest figure from the How many left app, shows cars with a current MOT and is updated daily.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220505-091002.png
    Screenshot_20220505-091002.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 83
I purchased my Thunder as a "spares" car, but did 4000 miles in the 1st. year, have decided to keep it and use mainly in the winter when the MSB one is put away.

Back