Engine converion from 1.4 to 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlandpuma

Hello there Im after some help with some queries I have. I have removed the blown 1.4 engine from the car and I would like to swap it for the 1.7 . Now the problem is the donor the (1.7) is a 2001 model with digital dash and the 1.4 is a 97 model with analog dash. Can anyone tell me if i need to change over whole loom as in everything behind dash and in the inside of the car or could i get away with changing parts of it over?

Really appreciate all info and help Cheers!

Even if someone could tell me the minimum amount of wiring would be to to get the 1.7 engine to run and run well. I dont need any in-car electrics to work ie. electric windows, lighting ect ect.

Thanks again!

Unless I've missed something obvious I'm pretty sure that theoretically the only things you should need to run the 1.7 engine would be:
1.7 engine bay loom (1.7 has VCT)
1.7 ECU & transponder
1.7 battery & tray/holder
1.7 CAT (if different to the 1.4)

I'm going to be starting an engine transplant in the next week or so, but both the original dials and the Puma ones I'm going to be using are digital.
I'm pretty confident in saying that a 1.7 digital loom will have the plugs/connections for the digital dash as it will run the speedo etc.
If you were to get hold of a loom from an analogue 1.7, then theoretically that should work in your analogue 1.4.

Also, whether any of the wiring from the dash switches, indicators etc. is joined/integrated/taped up with the loom for the ECU, I'm yet to find out but will know the answer to that soon!

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah i was thinking the same myself.
I have the dash romoved from the 1.4 and i have removed the ecu and the wiring from the ecu that goes through into engine bay under ther the fusebox. This being the engine bay loom i take it..? on 1.4 there are three electrical plugs on the top side of fuse box a black colourd plug, a white and a green which go from the fusebox into the car behind the dash but on the 1.7 there are only two, a white and green

The big plug (that was connected to the ECU) and all the wiring connected to it should be the engine bay loom.

I'm not very familiar with what wiring is what, but should be once I start this myself.

A Fiesta Haynes manual or maybe an owners manual for the 1.7 would be handy as you can work out what the fuses in the engine bay do and possibly work it out from there.

You also have to think about air conditioning - has the 1.4 got it? If not then the new 1.7 loom ideally needs to be non-AC too.

You would need to swap the interior loom also for the later model engine to run in your analogue puma, it should still be plug and play, but you would need to literally strip the entire car and replace the witing loom, a lot of work still

Alternatively... I'm going to be breaking an early (analogue) 1.7 so will have the engine bay loom with ecu that you require. Saves the hassle of changing the entire loom.

I would also say that it seems easier to get and install an analogue engine loom than replacing the whole interior loom.

Hi there thanks for the replies!

On doing a bit more looking into things I've realized that yes the whole loom needs chucking out and changed over!
Sorry for the delayed reply from myself been rushed of my feet giving my cousin a help out with his track car that he was racing at the weekend.
Since I fist posted this thread I have now changed paths, no longer going to use a 1.7 engine in the old girl.
I've got my hands on a 2.0L zetec silver top (absolutely bare) engine!! the engine has never been in a car at all but insted
it had been used to power a generator for a short period and when the company no longer needed the generators they were going to trough out the perfectly running engine with it!!!

So I've managed to get this bare engine for next to nothing!!

My plan now is to run this 2.0L engine the puma with Trottle bodies!
I have seen a complete bolt on package complete with engine management and everything else that is just bolt on, plug in and turn the key!!

Still even getting the engine to fit the car will I'm sure be interesting!
I do have a thought in the back of my head to possibly go rear wheel drive with it... but I'm not 100% decided as of yet.

Anyone know of this being done to a puma in the past as a 2.0L zetec on throttle bodies either FWD or RWD????
would love to know! Also would like to know peoples thoughts on this? Cheers! :grin:

I feel a bit of a D*CK now for asking folk about the original questions on the 1.4 to 1.7 swap... :|
I do appreciate the replies I received!
Thanks very much guys and I hope I haven't pi55ed folk of now!

Not at all the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Interested to see how you slot the 2.0 in

Hi Mate
The engine you've got is the MH420, there should be a plate on the rocker cover confirming this. With throttle bodies and a separate after market ECU it will make circa 160-165 BHP but with a lot more weight than your standard Puma Zetec SE.
personally I wouldn't swap as lightness is everything and the old Zetec E lump is much heavier.
Barry

Back