Engine Flush. Good idea?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheVarix

Hi all,

Soon I am going to change my car's engine oil (weather permitting).
Is it a good idea to flush it using one of those products like Wynn's Engine Flush?
I was thinking about doing this as the previous owner had only a partial service history in the book so I am not entirely sure about how well looked after the car has been...
But after some googling, I have read that sometimes using these products can mess things up and spread all the crap around, making other areas of the engine get clogged up.
Should I just simply do a few say 2 or 3,000 miles oil changes instead?

Any advice anyone?

iv'e used this one several times..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORTE-ENGINE-FLUSH-ADVANCED-FORMULA-MOTOR-FLUSH-400ml-CLEAN-AND-PROTECT-/160821960316?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2571bc5e7c#ht_796wt_1161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on different engines...cracking stufff..

personally ive always used, Wilkinsons cheap make of oil, 5 litres costs £8 cheap and nasty stuff used for older engine apparently, i find that it drags all the crap throught bettererererr

Recently used the STP version, ran the car for 40 miles with it in then had oil and filter changed. Didn't notice any difference, so it I regard that as maintenance of the engine.

el dude said:
aberdarepuma said:
personally ive always used, Wilkinsons cheap make of oil, 5 litres costs £8 cheap and nasty stuff used for older engine apparently, i find that it drags all the crap throught bettererererr

:eek:

Haha dun get me wrong I'd never run my engine with this shit in lol, as I'm 99% sure its vegetable oil pmsl, but ivalways used it as a flush lol

Never used engine flush, If an engine has'nt had regular oil changes i would get a leading supermarket brand 5w30 semi synth, Change the filter and run it round for about 500-1K miles and drop it out and change it again with another new filter. Thats what ive done in the past.

I am beginning to think like blot above and I might do that as I don't know exactly how well it's been serviced in the past. Think I will use Asda's 5w30 semi oil and change again in about 1k miles. I am a bit apprehensive about stirring up gunk and clogging up other areas where it might be really harmful for the engine...
Thanks everyone for your replies!! :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back