Replacing brake lines and ABS precautions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve90

Hi, I ve noticed the numerous posts on here asking about the brake bleeding procedures.
I'm not replacing a small section of pipe or changing a caliper, instead I'm replacing the entire brake line due to corrosion.

My issue is, as soon as I take off the pipe, and replace it, I;m going to be left with a very long brand new pipe with air in it.
As far as I;m aware you simply bleed this as normal, but how can I stop any air getting into the ABS pump, and what can I do if air does get in there?

I have to ask as I am not near a major city (and outisde England), so access to garages or ford is not possible.

I have a vacuum bleeder like this, so I can bleed from the nipple myself, but should i have the brake pedal depressed with a stick, and / or have the engine running?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Held-Vacuum-Pump-Brake-Clutch-Bleeder-Tester-Set-Bleeding-Kit-Car-Motorbike/312063592851?hash=item48a8708993:g:xc4AAOSwLo9dS8Jc

No, don't start the engine. Just top the brake fluid tank and keep it full of fluid so air can't reenter the system. For starters just let gravity assist you (open the nipples and keep adding the fluid as it will quickly be dissapearing). Once you get the fluid at nipples and no air, the pedal will firm up and that's it.

Ok Mnay thanks mate, so the procedure is more or less the same as with non ABS!?

You can delete this post if you wish, as I dont think it will be much use to other more experienced members.

Back