Engine loom - early and later differences?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGPlayer1

I'm looking at buying a donor car to scavenge a 1.7 engine for my car. It's going to be a track car so won't have a catalytic converter, so I'm using an ECU from an early (single lambda) car, but need the engine and loom from the donor. As for the engine I know they're basically the same and it will run however the ECU tells it.

What I want to know is; are there any major differences in the single and dual lambda looms? Or is it a case of just cutting the wires for the second sensor and plugging into the early ECU?

It seems there's many many more later cars available than early ones so it would be a lot easier to get a later donor and do necessary modifications, seeing as I have the all important TAPE ECU already.

Cheers,
Tom.

Hi Tom.
I have a dual lambda car and 4-2-1 (single lamba)
The TAPE ecu (even the DIVE too) will run fine with one lambda, although I`m not sure which of the plugs you need to use.
The hardest part is swapping the pin for the temp gauge. (and possibly extending your lambda wire.
I do have a TAPE engine loom out of the car but I`m afraid it`s mine for project purposes..

Ok Stu that answers my question.

I don't need a loom as I'll be buying a complete car - one that's failed the MOT on rust - and stripping it for parts.

Also, what clutch do you use Stu? I won't be running much more than standard power (only engine mods will be exhaust and cold air feed) so I figured a standard clutch would be up to par, but I may be wrong.

Basically six variants of loom

Analogue odometer - three plugs in the fuse box and one lambda - MUFF/DUDE ECU
Early digital - two plugs in the fuse box and one lambda - TAPE ECU
Late digital - two plugs in the fuse box and two lambdas - DIVE ECU

Add to the above that air con may or may not be present on all, hence six different configurations. Late with AC being by far the most common.

Plugs in the fuse box important as that is what will connect the fuse box to your body loom.

If you get a DIVE donor then no cuts required, you'd leave the second sensor unplugged and plug in the first sensor and in this case I would recommend also fitting the lambda itself to your manifold as the plug will match.

Other mod to run a TAPE ECU is you swap pins 75 and 80 on the ECU plug if the temp gauge doesn't work.

If the donor and target cars differ with AC option then you need to take the fan to match the loom also. Otherwise your fan will suit.

Ok Ian that's very helpful indeed. The receiving car has AC but it will be getting binned so that's not a concern.

By the looks of what's for sale I'll probably end up with a DIVE car, so at least I know they're compatible with little modification.

:eek:k:

Ian`s loom explanation is, as ever, spot on.
As for your clutch Tom.
Standard Puma or the slightly larger Focus 1.6/1.8 is fine. Just make sure it`s a top quality (LUK etc) and you`ll have no problems.
Race clutches are wasted on a modestly tuned car and utter shit in traffic.

Std puma clutch is 210mm while Focus 1.6/1.8 or fiesta st150 are 220mm. But you should use a combination of focus/st150 clutch-cover plate with PUMA slave cylinder.
Personally (1.7 4-2-1, FRP cams, FRP ECU) I have an st150 clutch and the pedal has a nice feel and is also pretty strong. It would be good to skim your flywheel if you get the 220mm clutch so it makes a better contact. (your flywheel now should have a VERY SMALL lip at the 210mm diameter).

Latest posts

Back