Loom question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGPlayer1

I’m in the process of swapping my 1.4 to a 1.7 engine, and I have all the required parts / knowhow except for one area - the loom.

I know they are different as the 1.7 has VCT, but what I want to know is if the 1.4 loom can be modified to wire in the VCT or will I need a complete 1.7 loom? The 1.4 is a single lambda and I have a TAPE ecu from an early, single lambda car as well, and I’m fairly sure the injector loom came with the engine, but I’m not 100%. Is that different as well or did both engines have the same injectors?

Electrics are beyond me so excuse me for being a bit thick in this area :)

Cheers in advance

I’m pretty sure you can separate the engine bay loom from the interior loom by unplugging at the engine bay fuse box

Engine bay loom is definitely seperate from interior loom. Last year I put a new engine in, replaced engine bay loom right away. I changed the interior loom 3 months later.

Interior loom plugs in at the cabin though, so engine bay loom goes through bulkhead, needs to be disconnected on the inside of the car and then pulled out. So still separate from interior loom, bit quite some work needed in engine bay and inside the Puma.

Matti9 said:
Engine bay loom is definitely seperate from interior loom. Last year I put a new engine in, replaced engine bay loom right away. I changed the interior loom 3 months later.

But what did you actually do to the engine loom?

I bought the complete package in advance: engine, engine loom, cabin loom etc. Placed engine and engine loom (ecu included): everything worked, although in theory the cabin loom was for a different car/engine/model than the engine loom. Later on, I put the cabin loom in that matched with the engine loom, one reason was to easily get the adjustable seat to work.

Easiest solution really is to get an 1.7 engine loom from the scrapyard. I wouldnt bother to try and adjust the 1.4 engine loom. Most likely you won't need a new interior loom, unless you got new extras, like AC.

Back