Engine Oil for Track

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milburn7191

hey guys, as you can see im still a newbie so apologies if this is common knowledge...

I serviced my 2000 reg 1.7 a few weeks ago, ran the oil through for a week then replaced that and the filter again. (ive just bought it and wanted to be sure it was running smooth)

Took her to a track and gave the car a good thrashing, the car smelt very hot in the morning; the smell faded during the day but was always there...i thought it was my new clutch and brakes bedding in.

however i checked the oil agaon after and the level was low and the oil was some of the blackest ive seen, looked like it had done 20k

i used halfords semi synthetic after reading semi was best for the cylinder linings, after this im inclined to think using semi is bollocks. ive replaced it now with castrol magnatec and change filter again.

which is best oil for tough punishment? i use the car everyday but will be taking it on the occational trackday

You won't go wrong sticking with Magnatec, mine ran on that for the 4 years I had it. The car had a sedate time for the majority of it's miles but also had a frequent neck wringing to within an inch of it's life, coped with a 50bhp shot of nitrous oxide for a year and lapped up (32 times) the 4 trips to the Nurburgring and the engine was as sweet as a nut when I sold it ;)

good to know, magnatec it is in future.

if it cooks that i know something is seriously wrong

Either that or I'm talking out of my behind :lol:

For track days I retro fitted a switch to the radiator fan so I could switch it on when I wanted. I'd rather help it cool down then let it decide it's too hot before it switches itself on :lol:

Oil goes dark because it's cleaning your engine out...if you've gone on track it sounds like it's had a dam good clean :cool:

If you want more protection for thrashing it... then may use a 5-40 instead of 30..personally I always use a premium FULLY synthetic oil in the engine AND gearbox.. :idea:

:grin:

agreed, it is premium quality all the way from now on.

my only concern with using a more viscouse oil is the increased likelyhood of blowby into the cylinders...thoughts anyone?

im going to run valvoline fully syn 5-40 in my puma track/road car,

i have heard the 5-30 can can break down at high temps and hard use and cause
bottom end failures,

decent oil is a must if the car is for racing not shopping.

cheers, Tom

Silkolene Pro S 5w 30, I use it in my ST220. Oil will change colour if overheated and if the engine runs rich.

milburn7191 said:
agreed, it is premium quality all the way from now on.

my only concern with using a more viscouse oil is the increased likelyhood of blowby into the cylinders...thoughts anyone?

Why do you think that? A slightly thicker oil when hot is less likely to seep past the piston rings.

Ziggy said:
I suspect Opie (and me) would recommend you use 5w-40 fully synthetic

They recommend that for everything. No need to use a thicker oil unless its burning it.

Latest posts

Back