Engine over-revving, flooding & not starting [1.7 2000]

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andypaj

Hi all,

Yesterday I did a few short trips and on the final trip the engine was revving uncontrollably when I depressed the clutch (up to 5000 RPM). It was idling high at 2000 RPM (usually at 1000 RPM idle) at the traffic lights. When I got home and shut the engine off it would not restart and won't start today. It's turning over but not starting with a rich petrol smell (flooding). I also noticed that the dashboard temperature gauge was not moving much above cold start yesterday - normally it's in the middle.

Any ideas as to what this might be? I first thought it was a temp sensor fault causing the mix to be off but it won't start from cold either.

Many thanks for your input.
Andy

Erratic idle can also be caused by faulty/stick ICV (Idle control valve).

Located towards the right end of the inlet. Held on with 2x 10mm bolts. They can be removed and cleaned although that may not necessarily fix them if they are faulty.

Have you checked the throttle cable isn't partially stuck on ? It might be internally frayed and holding the throttle on. Try disconnecting it at the throttle body.

Thanks for your replies. It was the coolant temperature sensor, faulty but not showing on OBDII. It was reading at -40C and so flooding the engine. Might have a go myself as I'm told it's easy to replace if you drain the coolant.

Latest posts

Back