ENGINE SOUNDS LIKE A RIGHT OLD PIG

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumba

this is after a seven mile drive home from work.

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... eo0009.flv

its a 1.4 53k 2000 with full sev hist cam belt not done,oh it did not sound like this when i got it late sep last year,any idea's to help her sound nice agen ? thanks

Can't really hear it on that video. Does it sound 'tappety'? Oil level ok? Fuel / oil / air filters changed recently? Does it drive ok?

Never good to have a noisy engine :(

thanks for getting back to me Dal,had full sev done nov 6th ish last year ish it sorts dives ok but does seem to be holding back a bit , me thinking that was the cold, its so bad i get looks when some one is crossing the road at lights, and yes sounds sorts like a fiesta 1.3 push rod thingi, you know what i mean.

Aren't the bottom ends known for failing on zetec blocks? Just a thought, as thats characterised by tappeting.

I know the 1.4 is prone to tappet noise eventually, but that's not due to be checked until 10 years or 100K according to the service manual.

Is it using more fuel?

hi chris,i was thinking that was the 1.3 unit?,i work with a lad that was a ford teck when the puma was sorta new ish and he does not know of any probs with the 1.4 engine at the miles my car has done

Dal said:
I know the 1.4 is prone to tappet noise eventually, but that's not due to be checked until 10 years or 100K according to the service manual.

Is it using more fuel?

i dont think so still good ish 230 miles a tank

pumba said:
hi chris,i was thinking that was the 1.3 unit?,i work with a lad that was a ford teck when the puma was sorta new ish and he does not know of any probs with the 1.4 engine at the miles my car has done

hello Pumba hehe, you mean the Endura engine? Hmm not sure, my knowledge about such issues is very limited to be honest. Taking it to a garage?

230 a tank? That's pants! I get 300 Is that what you normally get? What sort of driving though? Motorway? Town? Etc?

well i work at one.but they have no ideas why is no bad with out taking engine apart and i dont want to do that just yet if i dont need to

Yeh 230 to a tank sounds low. I get around 300, though usually fill it up before the light's on, but check regularly what mpg im getting and its always at 40ish.

Dal said:
230 a tank? That's pants! I get 300 Is that what you normally get? What sort of driving though? Motorway? Town? Etc?

the lot 10 times a week motway a roads town,but yours is a 1.7,so maybe there is some thing wrong? i do use a lot of the revs tho but not daft, its a 1.4 so you need a bit a of foot down to get anywere

Important to check your oil levels regualry, as certainly older cars, such a sour pumas do use oil!

yea oil lev fine, not lost any since last serv, some one at work said to use some thing called slic 50 ? dont know what that is?

I doubt slick 50 will do any good tbh.

just been to the shop befor and the fan belt had a bit of a sqwheel (err spelling) and its never done that befor could that have anything to do with it???

Dal said:
I doubt slick 50 will do any good tbh.

Yep, there was a court case in the States, way back, banning their claims and costing them $Millions in compensation:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/12/petapp62.97.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"In addition, it prohibits the companies from claiming that any other Slick 50 motor vehicle lubricant reduces wear on a part, extends the part’s life, lowers engine temperature, reduces toxic emissions, increases gas mileage or increases horsepower unless they can substantiate the claim."

Ford do not recommend putting additives in the Puma engine.

Back