Exhaust noise/drone

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

When I noticed my rear exhaust box had almost rusted through, I obviously decided to change it. Rather than keeping with the standard, I looked for something different.
I ended up with a 4" oval Sportex box which has been fitted for over 6 months now.

Now, I love the sound it makes outside the car, but inside it is now starting to get on my nerves.
At idle and holding the car a steady speed, it is quite quiet. When de-accelerating or giving it some beans, its quite loud and gets even louder the higher the revs. Not very pleasant when bombing down motorways at speed.

Does anyone know how to try and eliminate this drone without filling the boot up with sound deadening materials?

I am sure one suggestion will be to change the box but I don't want to..! And don't try and suggest turning the radio up, theres no point... I won't be able to hear it!!

can get a cheap standard box of ebay if that desperate and sell on the performance box,i have a piper rear box and thats noisy at times and droney but on the motorway cruising its fine,but as i dont drive the car much i can live with mine :-D

Stripping out the interior and lining the whole floor with Dynamat makes a HUGE difference to the resonance through the car... and really makes the car feel like a more luxury drive too.... the weight gain compared to the whole car is miniscule before anyone pipes up that it slows the car down...lol

Iv'e done it on both my cars... it's quite a job but well worth while imo...

:cool: :cool:

el dude said:
.... the weight gain compared to the whole car is miniscule before anyone pipes up that it slows the car down...lol
I am not bothered about slowing it down, hence why I put a spoiler on the back!
Sound deadening sound like a great idea, but would like to try simpler things first!

Have tried to do a bit of research. I have read that the drone is cause by the vibrations through the exhaust.
People have suggested fitting weights to the exhaust to change/cancel the vibrations and even fitting a Glass Pack (whatever that is!).

on one of my old cars they put more baffles in the rear silencer to minmis the drone.. it did help but not much. main solution is defo replace the exhaust which is what i ended up doing in the end :?

I think changing it is going to be the way to go... just hoped someone would have a solution with would allow me to keep the rear box as I do really like it. But don't say I could keep it and put up with the noise, I have coped with it for a while now and its finally starting to get on my nerves. :evil:

So, why do companies make this sort of thing if it just results in a really loud drone inside the car? Or is it because I haven't fitted the correct one to match my car/engine? :cry:

Thanks every one for the help! :cool:

indeed i loved mine driving around town but motoroways it was a nogo. this has always been my worry if i ever replaced my exhaust. the one i had on the rs2000 was excellent and didnt drone at all on the motoroway, that was a scorpion i believe. although from my reserach on here most people suggest the miltek is a good one for replacement of standard.

Hmm, I have the very same problem. You do learn to live with it after a while (well I did) but I agree, that it is a nuisance. I'm no mechanic but couldn't someone do something clever with some valves in the exhaust system somewhere to keep the nose down at certain revs? I know someone who had a twin exhaust on an old Astra Turbo, at lower revs (i.e. motorway cruising) a valve between the two exhausts sent the gasses out of a quieter one and when he mashed his foot into the floor it swapped over to the louder one. Expensive to do but effective. No idea whether it would work on a Puma and I suppose you would need a new bumper not to mention an entirely new exhaust.

I do wish the Puma had a 6th gear

Well, I'm disappointed to say I had a standard rear box fitted this afternoon. :'(

Its now so quite, I have trouble hearing it running... at least I'm not going to end up deaf! :thumbs:

Thank you to all for the suggestions.

Tony

yippeekiay said:
Now you'll be able to hear all your creaks, knocks and bangs that you didn't hear before....lol.
That would probably be about right! The biggest noise will be the old box sliding around in the boot!! :lol:

Yup, booted my Puma through the tunnel on the M4 at Cardiff twice today, had to do 40 down the rest of that pointless 50MPH average speed check to offset the tunnel! Sounded good though :)

Back