Exhaust pipe rust.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James123

I've been a Puma (1.4, 2000) owner for over a year now and I've suddenly noticed that the exhaust pipe is extensively rusted all over.

I'm sure when I first bought the car the exhaust was rather stylish looking and shiny in appearance indicating a chrome content, i.e. stainless steel(?)

Can exhausts pipes really go rusty that quickly? And does anyone know if all Puma's are fitted with stainless steel exhaust pipes?

Aftermarket exhausts tend to rust quite easily.
The standard puma tailpipes were chrome when they left the factory.
By the age of the car, I'd say at least 90% of them now aren't fitted with their original exhaust

jimfrp88 said:
Aftermarket exhausts tend to rust quite easily.
The standard puma tailpipes were chrome when they left the factory.
By the age of the car, I'd say at least 90% of them now aren't fitted with their original exhaust

I'm still surprised it rusted that quickly though.

I've put a lot into keeping any potential rust at bay. I had the entire underside of the car sprayed with a rubber coating which should add some years of life to the vehicle.

It's a bit worrying if any part goes rusty that quick. The whole exhaust pipe is encrusted and it's almost flaking off.

I thought Puma's had stainless steel exhaust pipes which aren't meant to go rusty anyway?

No mate... Pumas left the factory with standard mild steel exhausts.

I know what you're saying though, I fitted a Hoffman back box to my old Puma and within 12 months that had plenty of surface rust on it.

Plus aftermarket silencers tend to be single skin whereas the factory one has double.

The factory ones can last for a ridiculous amount of time: I saw my old R reg puma at Ford Fair, still on her original exhaust nearly 200k later.

Even Ford replacement exhausts are nowhere near as good, and have never looked like the original.

Agree with Cherie... I scrapped a 51 plate puma last year that still had it's original exhaust after 100k miles... In fact, they exhaust was in better condition than the rest of the bodywork! :lol:

So why did my back box disintegrate heroically after a mere 95K?

But i will say that exhausts rust like there's no tomorrow, but it's only surface rust and takes a long time to get through.

jimfrp88 said:
Agree with Cherie... I scrapped a 51 plate puma last year that still had it's original exhaust after 100k miles... In fact, they exhaust was in better condition than the rest of the bodywork! :lol:

Can we briefly recap on what's been discussed so far?

Are chrome/stainless steel exhaust pipes as found on a Puma generally rust proof?

If they are then why do they ever need replacing?

And why did my own apparently chrome-looking exhaust pipe go rusty in the space of just a few months?

James123 said:
jimfrp88 said:

Can we briefly recap on what's been discussed so far?

Are chrome/stainless steel exhaust pipes as found on a Puma generally rust proof? The chrome end pipe on the OEM ones are generally rustproof

If they are then why do they ever need replacing? Generally it's not the tips that go, but the box. The box is mild steel, but is made from 2-3 "skins" making it last very well.

And why did my own apparently chrome-looking exhaust pipe go rusty in the space of just a few months? Probably because it wasn't the one originally supplied with the car from the factory - the OEM ones last far longer than any after market one (apart from Stainless Steel ones obviously.

Dal said:
Are chrome/stainless steel exhaust pipes as found on a Puma generally rust proof? The chrome end pipe on the OEM ones are generally rustproof

If they are then why do they ever need replacing? Generally it's not the tips that go, but the box. The box is mild steel, but is made from 2-3 "skins" making it last very well.

And why did my own apparently chrome-looking exhaust pipe go rusty in the space of just a few months? Probably because it wasn't the one originally supplied with the car from the factory - the OEM ones last far longer than any after market one (apart from Stainless Steel ones obviously.

Thanks for the info.

However can I ask if it is the boxes that go, why would the exhaust pipe be replaced as well? Can't the boxes be replaced separately?

Surely it makes sense to keep the original exhaust pipe?

Normally the OEM tip gets thrown away with the corroded back box. It's not a part that can be taken off separately without cutting it off.

Picture of my old OEM cat back system when it was replaced by a Milltek:

[fullalbumimg]127[/fullalbumimg]

James123 said:
Thanks for the info. However can I ask if it is the boxes that go, why would the exhaust pipe be replaced as well? Can't the boxes be replaced separately? Surely it makes sense to keep the original exhaust pipe?
Sounds like you need to read up about car exhaust systems generally and also how the effect of hot, wet, acidic exhaust gases will not only corrode a steel exhaust system over time, but will also virtually 'weld' the parts together. Sometimes old exhaust parts can be separated, sometimes not without beating hell out of them and risking damage, but either way if the box has gone the pipe will not be far behind.

Like tyres and batteries, exhaust systems are expected vehicle consumables. The parts cost of the entire exhaust system for your car is less than £100, is it really worth this level of agonising over?

These days exhausts can last so long! 15 years ago you'd be doing well to get 3 years out of one but the higher exhaust gas temperatures and faster warm-up times due to the introduction of cats has greatly extended the life of exhausts.

Bob

Are we saying that the Ford replacements no longer have chrome tips ?

Cheers

Tim

Well :) i don't know about the oem... i have a Magnaflow core competition put on.

I hit it in the first week when driving backwards but replaced everything with SS, and kept the Magnaflow (damn those are 200 euros)... :) sounds awesome, and adds HP too :)

I will have to check on and change the flexible part... that will cost me 30 pounds ±... so not a big deal the exhaust system :D

I see quite a lot of Ford items which normally indicates its original unless its been done at a dealer.

Normally water in the boxes is what kills them, either condensation from one end or rainwater from the other. You minimise that, it'll last quite well. Although yes, not forever.

Put your right hand in your back pocket and treat yourself to a new exhaust system.... ffs.... simple

Back