Puma Millennium W965 RDU

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomEbbs

Hi all. I'm Tom. Based in sunny Southend-on-sea.

After far too long without a Ford in my life I've returned to the fold. Previous cars are a MK2 Fiesta, a couple of MK1 Ford Focus's builds and now a Puma Millennium.

IMG_9415.JPG

Did some digging and to my delight this is a pretty well documented car thanks to one of the previous owners. Link to old thread. I've tried to get in contact with the previous owner to ask a few questions. No luck yet.

I've bought the car as something to spanner on and keep in the garage. Currently on 84k.

Engine looks to be standard. It has a 421 stainless exhaust system on it with sports cat. Lots of the underside mechanicals have been powder coated (See previous thread) Subframes, hubs etc.

So far I've:
  • Added a deep dish Kode steering wheel (mainly as it helps my seating position).
  • Polished the headlights as they were dull.
  • Given the leather a once over to revive some of it and fixed some stitching on the drivers bolster.
  • Sorted a bulkhead seal which was letting water into the cabin
  • Booked in tomorrow for a split CV boot and real wheel bearing

Plans are:
  • Cut out rust, replace panels and repaint. Panels are already on order from ExPress.
  • Replace bootlid as the rear window seal is leaking and its had a spoiler at some point (self tapper holes remain :cry:)
  • Something suspension related as it sits too high for my liking.
  • Enjoy at weekend keeping it alive.

Ive started an instagram account to keep track of progress and document it for the future. @W965RDU

Last edited:
Little update after a few weeks ownership.

Started reviewing rust. Arch panels ordered and sorted someone to cut and weld in.
IMG_9448.JPGIMG_9452.JPG

Replaced earth strap as the manifold was cooking it a little. Is this the correct routing?
IMG_9602.JPG

Gave the underside a once over. Tied up lots of broken clips. The previous owners powder coating has done wonders!
IMG_9603.JPG

Horn button finally arrived.
IMG_9605.JPG

Replaced rear light lens which was cracked. £14 from eBay. Genuine unit too.
IMG_9611.JPG

Putting together a set of 16" Ghia X wheels from a Scorpio / Mondeo. More on the way but was able to test fit. 6.5J with 20mm spacers.
IMG_9645.JPG
IMG_9644.JPG

Even got a set of caps too.
IMG_9643.JPG

Gave the inner arches some love. A good clean.
IMG_9650.JPG

More updates to come. :D

Got a couple of bits done today.

Brodit pro clip with quad lock phone holder installed.
BEC31E95-897C-47C8-8762-0191490D4D16.jpeg

Yellow gear knob.
737FD5A3-CA81-4738-8ED4-FDACFFE20A3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: red
Just ordered:
AP coilovers (GF30-013)
Adjustable drop links
Replacement top mounts all round.

Looking forward to getting them on.

This weekend
I’ve got some wheels arriving which I can hopefully sort myself (without any major refurb yet) tho that’s yet to be seen.

Waiting on some 20mm rear beam spacers to arrive.

Orders loads of replacement bolts to tidy a few bits up.

Bet your phone's solid with that mount, I've only seen the quadlocks mentioned on motorcycle groups before now!

Just ordered:
AP coilovers (GF30-013)
Adjustable drop links
Replacement top mounts all round.

Looking forward to getting them on.

This weekend
I’ve got some wheels arriving which I can hopefully sort myself (without any major refurb yet) tho that’s yet to be seen.

Waiting on some 20mm rear beam spacers to arrive.

Orders loads of replacement bolts to tidy a few bits up.
Recently done the same to my millennium, the 20mm spacers fill the rear arches just right.

Bit more progress over the last few weekends.

Had a few bits delivered. Still waiting on a few.
IMG_9856.JPG

Picked up a new tailgate to replace the leaky rear window and self tapper holes from a long since removed rear spoiler. Doggo not impressed its in the house. haha
IMG_9867.JPG

Managed to pull together a full set of Ghia X Granada Saff / Mondeo wheels. 16" 6.5J ET40 and got them restored. Over the moon with how they turned out. Rapid Wheels in Southend did the work and can't fault them.
IMG_9872.JPG

Fitted the replacement tailgate.
IMG_9869.JPG

Swapped all the interior pieces. Naturally broke the parcel shelf clips. Managed to find some more on eBay. IMG_9870.JPG

Gave it a good polish
IMG_9871.JPG

Fitted the new wheels. Went for Toyo Proxey TR1s 195/45/16. Took it out for a little test. Wider wheels with spacers feels very different over standard. Rotates better for sure and the grip level is better on the new tyres. Steering is a little less sharp likely due to the track width change.
IMG_9875.jpg

Got centre caps on to finish it off.
IMG_9881.JPG
IMG_9882.JPG

Next up:
Rear beam spacers (20mm to replace the wheel spacers on the rear)
AP coilovers which should be arriving tomorrow.
Booked in for rear arch / door sill rust end of May.

Couple of updates.

Coilovers have arrived. Just need to find a solid bit of time to get them fitted. Looks like the rear interior might be best coming out. (More clips to break….😩)

83C87E7F-0AEE-4331-96E5-9DAE53ECB604.jpeg

The hood was getting a little toasty and at some point has blistered the paint. In the interest of avoiding this in the future I’ve heat shielded the underside in an attempt to help during the summer.
1D758D62-C10F-44E1-AEC0-5283EC118372.jpeg

More to come as always.

Couple of updates.

Coilovers have arrived. Just need to find a solid bit of time to get them fitted. Looks like the rear interior might be best coming out. (More clips to break….😩)

View attachment 10488

The hood was getting a little toasty and at some point has blistered the paint. In the interest of avoiding this in the future I’ve heat shielded the underside in an attempt to help during the summer.
View attachment 10487

More to come as always.
Yeah, I had to take mine out.😭

https://www.projectpuma.com/threads/my-millennium.33922/post-386982

@caprixpack Thanks for the tip off. Mine is now out in preparation for fitting the rears at the weekend. (Still waiting on the coilovercovers to arrive) Ive also dowsed the strut bolts with WD40.
IMG_9900.JPG IMG_9901.JPG

Gave the inside a little clean. Had a mouse in there at some point... 😂
Took the opportunity to give the rear seats and interior cards a good once over.

IMG_9904.JPG IMG_9906.JPG

IMG_9908.JPG

Got excited as I found a 3 digit number on the interior piece. Overly hopeful haha
IMG_9907.JPG

Also testing this out. Not 100% sold on it yet. Was aiming to get the shifter a little closer to me (I have the drivers seat wayyyyyyyyy back as i've got long legs). It's very marmite as it makes the throw longer. Its non destructive so ill test for a bit.

IMG_9902.JPG

Rear coilovers fitted, Really happy with how it sits. Firmer and more planted that standard but not hard / uncomfortable.

0CB10C66-9C70-4047-9BC8-BBC730E6330E.jpeg

873E8884-9F84-4812-AB9D-A6692E65B458.jpeg

Wanted to also get the fronts done but the top mount nut has beaten me. Time for a garage booking so they can use the Ugga Dugga on it. Did manage to get the adjustable drop links on as a consolation prize 🤣 tho.

In for rear arches on the 30th for a week.

Honestly I’d say around 100mm drop overall. Mine was very high before.

I’m measuring 100mm from the rim edge to the arch right now after settling.

Dropped the car off this afternoon to have the rust cut out of the rear arches. Hoping it’s not hiding anything too major. With any luck we be all done by Friday. 🤞

Grabbed some photos on the way.

CE614490-78F4-4A16-AFB1-55BC34D366A3.jpeg
C38CF603-68C8-4E26-B5BD-77F5C2A265CF.jpeg
C2AEBE3A-EDC3-41C4-9AB3-F40CEC544F5B.jpeg
65BF960E-4761-4E86-AC53-CE944A402FE4.jpeg
95C65CB8-98A2-49FE-B259-1577843448E0.jpeg
34B68BA1-C1B1-4486-8324-032502288B2E.jpeg

Also found a small coolant leak from the bottom of the rad. Replacement on the way and will be fixed once it’s back.

Latest posts

Back