exhaust problem, baffle, car keeps trying to grow a ponytail

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekz

Hi there, as baffle is coming out of my exhaust at an alarming rate and the exhaust has hole in it, I think I am going to need a new backbox according to google anyway.

What I need to know is do I need the obd or non obd back box as specified here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma...ust-Rear-Back-Box-/110802929522#ht_3064wt_905. I'm guessing that relates to the OBD2 port? or not? If that's the case I do have one.

Also, how much should I be paying to get this replaced if I provide the exhaust and should I paint it black before or after I give it to the mechanic as I guess it will require welding and thus melt the paint?

How long does it take usually to replace the backbox, how many hours and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks,
Will

exhaust is the same for 1.4,1.6 and 1.7 engine the frp is different try a local motorfactors as they can be cheaper than ebay sometimes,its just undo clamp,if its already been replaced,if not need to measure and cut,remove from rubber hangers and then refit,using new clamp and hanging rubbers,and should take no more than 30 mins to do if done at a garage.

Sounds like I can do it myself, It's actually clamped on and not welded?

I believe if its the original exhaust as supplied with the car when new it comes in one piece from the cat back

its just undo clamp,if its already been replaced,if not need to measure and cut,remove from rubber hangers and then refit,using new clamp and hanging rubbers,and should take no more than 30 mins to do if done at a garage.

but like he said if someones already replaced the backbox i.e by measuring and cutting the pipe and clamping a new backbox on its just a unbolt and clamp new one on job.

If this hasn't been done previously you or your mechanic will have to do it.

It would be a good idea to thoroughly check the rest of the exhaust it could be if your backbox is rotten the other silencer more forward of it could be rotten as well. In which case replacements usually then come in two pieces, backbox and also centre section with second silencer

My backbox was a straight swap, the old one wiggled of and the new one slotted straight on. But had to replace clamp as the old one sheared when removing.

cheers guys, havent had a chance to look at it yet, will get underneath and have a look. It's doubtful a 10 year old car has the original backbox but if it does I'm guessing a cut, replace and clamp job shouldn't be too much work.
Car's in quite bad condition so obviously don't want to spend too much money on it, as suspension wise it's on it's last legs, will cost a good 600 quid to fix the suspension and tracking issues so I'm probably going to drive it into the ground, if anything pops up that costs more than say 100 quid I'll probably just sell it for parts or something.
Cheers

*Edit* Engine however is solid, sounds and drives great at 74k, so I am a bit undecided what to do with my Puma.

I just bought 1 from eurocar parts for £24. It also has a nice stainless oval tailpipe & a 2year guarantee they through in a new clamp for free. Part no. 705590506 with discount code april25, dont know if this will still work but might do. Just look for a discount code on their site.

Did you take any piccies of it?

Are you sure it has a stainless tailpipe and not chrome? I cant access the site just now to look

I have uploaded a photo to my gallery, have not got a clue how to add a photo to a post. might be chrome, just looks a bit dull to be chrome. It looks the same finnish as on my 52 plate car that still has the original exhaust on it, its just a larger oval
quest63 said:
Did you take any piccies of it?

Are you sure it has a stainless tailpipe and not chrome? I cant access the site just now to look

Well it looks like a stainless tailpipe but hard to tell in that piccie, but it seems to cheap.They dont have any info on the site no piccies and they cant tell me if its stainless or chrome.

Does the tailpipe look different from the rest of the backbox?

I'm just wondering if its just brush polished steel with laquer on it

Defo ordering one if its stainless

The backbox is different to the tailpipe & is without doubt not stainless. But it does come with a 2 year guarantee, the price I quoted was with 25% discount using the code I said. That last backbox we had on this car only lasted 18 months & only covered 5k miles before rusting out & cost us £90, so at that price & the look of it im well happy.
Might change it later for a full stainless system, I feel a project coming on, as this was a cheap fix to get the car through the MOT.

I'll definately have one if just the tailpipe is stainless.There is currently a 30% discount but its near £28 now.All the same a good price anyway but I want a stainless tailpipe.

Cheers

do you have a eurocarparts near you? I suggest you just pop in & ask to have a look at it.
quest63 said:
I'll definately have one if just the tailpipe is stainless.There is currently a 30% discount but its near £28 now.All the same a good price anyway but I want a stainless tailpipe.

Cheers

They dont have them in stock on the website at all, or at my nearest branch. Its on a to be ordered basis.

Ive been here before with ebay sellers who dont even know if the silencers they are selling even have an oval tailpipe

This might help, it's the manufacturers technical helpline no. 0845 5441479. Their part no. Is 154-327
quest63 said:
They dont have them in stock on the website at all, or at my nearest branch. Its on a to be ordered basis.

Ive been here before with ebay sellers who dont even know if the silencers they are selling even have an oval tailpipe

Thanks.Is it a Bosal exhaust? googling that part number shows it as a Bosal even though eurocarparts calls it something else

Back