Fiesta diesel springs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uxter

I am looking for a cheap way to toughen my Pumas front end, I do Targa rallys in it and break a front spring almost every event.

Most uprated kits lower the car, I actually would like a bit more clearance.

A fellow competitor has fitted diesel fiesta front suspension, but was unsure of the model, his car seems to do ok with it, but I just want to change the springs not the whole lot, anyone any input?

i'm not shure, but kizza is doing a diesel Conversion, he might know :)
I don't think the diesel is that much hevier, but stil, the springs might be slightly tougher.. the suspesnin is visualy identical thoug :) so just a spring swap should work fine. posebly springs and dampers if there is a difference in the spring design, wich I doubt...

Your looking for the 96-02 fiesta diesels :)

uxter said:
I am looking for a cheap way to toughen my Pumas front end, I do Targa rallys in it and break a front spring almost every event.

Most uprated kits lower the car, I actually would like a bit more clearance.

A fellow competitor has fitted diesel fiesta front suspension, but was unsure of the model, his car seems to do ok with it, but I just want to change the springs not the whole lot, anyone any input?

I've got Ford Courier front springs on my road rally puma and that's lifted the front enough for all the events I've done, which have included some pretty gnarly whites.

Thanks for the input lads, was that any specific courier model or are they all the same?

This is going to have to be a longer term project than I first thought due to finances slowing down, had hoped to have changed the seats by now (way too high for me) so info like this is really helpful.

Need a tripmeter next, but has to be historic spec (no average speed functions allowed) looking at the Monit Q10 and some sort of sumpguard may need to be made, I want it toughened up before speeding it up, tho its a 1.4 so that's never going to happen, but after near 20 years rallying an 1962 Volvo I just love the Pumas agility.

the curier just about follows the fiesta's Development, so a 96 to 2002 should do, but the rear Axel is not the same, as it has torsion bars instead of springs..

Think you will find a big difference between the Volvo and the puma same as me with my 72 avenger and my puma. The puma will be far better over a distance of taga rallys only thing that is hard to get as a sump guard as there is only berkbeck that supplys them foe now or see how one is made and make your own. I am making one for my rally car at the moment, you need a hoop makeing that hangs under the rad to protect it.

Graeme

yeah did a couple of events last season, one on one of the hottest days of the year, the crew of the chevette that was running in front of us nearly had to pull out with heat exhaustion....we just put the aircon on!
was arriving at cones sooo much quicker than my brain was used to and sooo much more economical as well, its a no-brainer really!

Chris Birkbecks local to me but his stuff is a bit expensive (to be fair he does operate at a much higher level), will be making my own guard, a good source of ally sheets is the equestrian suppliers, they use it for horsebox floors, seems cheaper than what I was quoted

Ah so your local to me ish. I am in bishop Auckland.
I have some 15' alloys and a strut brace for sale if there of any use to you. Did you do the Durham dales classic?

Graeme

Darlington, so yeah not too far, Durham Dales, Yeah we did, didn't do too well, it was only my wifes second event and she has no motorsport background so its a steep learning curve and I have never been great at complex tests, but was a good event, second time I have done it.

Strut brace is of interest.

cheers

Alan

Yeh I did it in the twingo and was 10 oa and second in class not to bad as I have not dun anything for over 2 years and my dad was out in a silver puma.
You should do some off Durham's 12 car events.
We are building a puma for mull in October but just moving at the moment to somewhere with a nice big workshop so can't wait. The brace needs a paint as its scruffy apart from that it's fine.

Graeme

uxter said:
Chris Birkbecks local to me but his stuff is a bit expensive (to be fair he does operate at a much higher level), will be making my own guard, a good source of ally sheets is the equestrian suppliers, they use it for horsebox floors, seems cheaper than what I was quoted

You'll need to make a front mount for the guard (as mentioned previously). I welded two supports vertically down from the front chassis legs/crumple zone and then a horizontal box section across between the two. Makes a nice strong front mount to be fair. Make sure it's far enough forward that it doesn't get in the way if you have to drop the gearbox out. The rear of the guard can just be bolted up through the floor in the foot wells.

Back