Fiesta

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While working I had money to do bits to the car but no real time. Now being plunged in to the depths of unemployment with very little to no funds to do bits to the car I've got loads of time! Seems I can't win!

So I had a clear out in my garage and found some paints to redo the engine cover. The paint had bubbled and didn't clean very well.
After a few hours I ended up with this:

18698420_10213161580417064_1223272800459336996_n_zpslu5udhxo.jpg

I found a sticker I bought a few years ago and surprisingly it was still sticky so decided to make use of it.

I know I'm now using a Fiesta but I am running it with a Puma engine and this site is where I got in to all this car stuff in the first place.

Since that photo the cover has had a coat of lacquer and will get another one or two before it goes back on the car.

Many years ago I bought a set of Black ProRace 1.2 alloys which I used on a couple of the Pumas I had. I sold these a while ago to a friend which I immediately regretted and had done ever since.
My friend decided he was going to sell his car and offered me the wheels back. Now, I wasn't going to get them back for free so we struck a deal and he swapped them for the Zetec S wheels.
Now I have my wheels back!

18664404_10213159665289187_4794245889684499791_n_zpsqzjhdes5.jpg

18582212_10213159665569194_3624387278955999695_n_zpsmudlr0d3.jpg

When I did the Puma conversion I left in the standard Fiesta gearbox which over time had developed a noisy slave cylinder.

I wanted to fit a 1.7 Puma gearbox to match the engine so I fitted the one that was in my 'donor' Fiesta along with a nearly new but used slave cylinder.

36505131435_971c7590ec_b.jpg

Only got one photo as I was filthy dirty soon after this.

Once it was fitted I found that the gearbox sounded a little worse for wear, so all of that hard slog was basically for nothing.

But today I picked this up...

35670047954_9b323acd2a_b.jpg

35696220463_f7232ecbb6_b.jpg

Freshly refurbished. Full set of new bearings, oil seals, degreased and painted. They even replaced the bolts that hold it all together.

So, the hard slog will continue once again to swap the gearbox for a second time....

So..Fiesta with a Puma engine and now you have robbed a Dyson of its internals, never going to be able to clean in the corners with that :grin:

I loved my Puma so after having to scrap the pile of rust, I need to keep hold of something Puma related! These engines are too good to scrap!

And it was from an Electrolux, not a Dyson ;p

Sach's is probably a better clutch option. I got a LUK one and it's a bag of nails. Going to lighten the flywheel and throw an ST150 clutch on, but will be done with the camshafts and inlet manifold in a year or so. :grin:

It's been ages since I updated this project.

Nothing much has happened. The car is currently off road, stored in a dry garage. The MOT ran out but it needs a few jobs doing to it before I can get it tested again.

First job is a bit of rust....

28328401927_f6c7b05bf6_c.jpg

42479610854_8f5952a7b5_c.jpg

41387498740_b7a29c5dfe_c.jpg

I'm waiting for a guy who lives local to me to come and have a look and price the job.

The interior is stripped and I'm waiting on someone to get back to me with a price of some sheet material so I can make my own light weight door panels.

In the mean time I refurbed the front St150 calipers. Thanks to Wild E Coyote for the information on the rebuild kits....

42479609144_c463c818c9_c.jpg

Replaced the bleed nipples, pistons, seals and the boots the slide pins go through.

I modded the speedo surround to accept 2x 52mm gauges but wasn't happy with the finish I could get.
Painting the surround just didn't look right so I left it until I decided what to do with it.
I then stumbled across a guy in my area who flocks. After a phone call and a quick visit to show him what I had I picked this up 2 days later....

41388396100_415e4b1537_c.jpg

I've also been collecting parts to do the turbo conversion and have got almost all of the parts.

Offered up the intercooler....

43148188482_4fdd1a0ed9_c.jpg

Supported with string to get an idea of the placement.

I'm holding off on installing the turbo conversion until the car is MOTd and is road legal. I can then drive it around and sort the fuelling etc.

Full list of jobs:

Relocate battery to boot - most parts already got. Waiting for rivnuts and insulated cable jointing box
Make door panels for MOT - waiting on confirmation of material price
Floor welding - waiting for visit to price job
Repair blowing join in exhaust between rear box and centre section - may replace these parts or 'bodge' something for the MOT as the exhaust will be coming off for the turbo conversion
Get MOT!
Remove rear wiper & lock and weld over - no timescale yet
Boot floor hole from spare wheel carrier securing bolt. Weld over - no timescale yet
Weld on rear strut brace - no timescale yet
Remove dash and possibly flock - no timescale yet
Create additional/custom hole in bulkhead for cabling and pipework for turbo conversion - no timescale yet
Complete turbo conversion

A lot of the jobs that require welding may potentially be completed all at the same time. When I have a price for the floor to be repaired I am going to get a price for all of the little welding jobs to be done together.

So, the guy I contacted was supposed to come over and look at what welding I needed doing, but failed to get back to me.

In the mean time I got the intercooler properly mounted.

Work to relocate the battery to the boot has started...

42814924464_2b0f809445_c.jpg

Terminals to connect live battery cables

42814798044_945acaf69f_c.jpg

Live cable through bulkhead

43484578482_6c10da6abd_c.jpg

Riv-nuts to secure battery box

Erm, it isn't moving as quick as I want believe me!

Money is tighter than watertight which is quite frustrating. I'm not working at the moment as my other half has health issues and I spend a lot of time 'looking after' her and her daughter who has been diagnosed with Autism, so those two take up a fair bit of my time.

The car is off road in a garage and I have a daily to run around in so there theoretically isn't any immediate rush to get it done.

I've looked at my parts list and have seen that I only have a few parts left to get:
Intercooler piping
AFR gauge
Clamps
Something(s) for the oil return to the sum
Flange and elbow from turbo to downpipe
Downpipe & high flow CAT

Plus a few other niknaks like bits of breather pipe, brackets etc.

I am going down to the garage today to fit a lot more of the parts I have.

The issue I am also having is finding a welder/someone who can be bothered to have a look at the car in respect of sorting the hole in the floor and costing up getting the downpipe made. Failing that, I'm strongly considering buying a welder and learning myself!

Hi Tony
Sorry to hear about your family problems if you decide to go down the buy the welder route give me a msg before you buy but don't buy a gassless MIG for Gods sake.
Barry

Very, very, very slow updates....

Intercooler piping kit:

48611162107_e7a601e770_c.jpg

Some air blower thingy...

48611161942_719feb21da_c.jpg

I'm not sure what the lag (if any) will be on this setup so I may swap the intercooler for a smaller one I have already got.

Should be getting a little welder next week so I can start making my own mounts/brackets.

Apart from a few clamps, a length of vac hose and other small haberdashery bits & pieces the only part I have got left to buy is the AFR gauge and sensor.

Now I have go the piping kit I can actually start putting this lot together properly so I can find places to put things like the fuel pressure regulator, catch can etc.

It was good to meet you today, hope you made it home safely.

I'm looking forward to more updates and seeing how this project comes together

Cheers

Kyle

Back