First Black Puma - Loving it but being cautious

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update....
Have since found out that tracking and geometry go together - had a quote from Lichfield Accident and Repair Centre for £27.00 initially and £34.50 per hour plus parts. They said it doesn't usually take more than an hour to do though.

Had a bargain on ebay with a set of 4 NGK platinum plugs for £7 with postage and a middle and rear section exhaust for £40 fro Hall Green Spares.

Am booked in with the mechanic for the 20th April to have the following parts fitted:-
Rear wheel bearing £35 including the bearing
Both tie rods - £25 Labour (bought off ebay for £11.40 the pair brand new)
Plugs £10 Labour - I could do this myself but would rather let a pro do it with a torque wrench.
Exhaust - Labour charge TBA
Strut mounts - Labour charge TBA

The story continues..... lol

Update - - -
21st April.

The following parts have been fitted:-
2 anti-roll bar links
Rear nearside wheel bearing
Middle and rear exhaust section
Platinum plugs

The car runs much better now, the juddering has gone, so has the whine from the wheel bearing and the drive seems much smoother. I miss the throaty sound from the blowing exhaust but - you can't have everything - So, the car is coming along nicely now. Next month will see the front and rear strut mounts being replaced together with that coolant leak, possibly a set of brake pads and discs as well. With the warmer weather I'm going to start on the body work.

Will keep updating....

Update....

Car has now passed the MOT wooooo.

Final price:
Car £850
Parts and labour, including MOT test fee and retest fee £324.40

All in £1174.40 for a black 2001 to be completely road sorted and there's only 58k on the clock. I reckon I've done alright there. Yay Pumas!!!

yippeekiay said:
zarablackcoupe said:
id prefer it to be running smooth under the bonnet than having smooth paintwork :p

Have to agree here, mine looks dirty but is sweet as a nut (touch wood).

Edit:- Actually, it's pretty clean considering it's had one wash in 17 months.

disagree here with you both :p as much as i support a well maintained engine, the bodywork on the puma is far less likely to outlast the engine.

Agreed. We all know how well Uncle Henry rust proofs his cars...

ScubaSteve said:
disagree here with you both :p as much as i support a well maintained engine, the bodywork on the puma is far less likely to outlast the engine.

Depends if your luck is in or not. :(

(Being in the replacement engine club)

ScubaSteve said:
yippeekiay said:
zarablackcoupe said:
id prefer it to be running smooth under the bonnet than having smooth paintwork :p

Have to agree here, mine looks dirty but is sweet as a nut (touch wood).

Edit:- Actually, it's pretty clean considering it's had one wash in 17 months.

The condition on the bodywork is fine on mine, if it gets to bad I'll just buy another car but I can't see it getting that bad before I get rid anyway or at least transfer it to being a track only car if I decide on that which could of happened yesterday when I got pipped at the post on a car I was bidding on that I was going to use as my main car and to tow the Puma with...lol.

To the OP, nice one ;)

Yes, am chuffed to bits about it all. I thought it would cost me both arms and both legs lol. Am having a think about doing something nice with the wheels now :lol:

Latest posts

Back