First car?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losador

I am 34 years old but have only just this learnt how to drive - why oh why did I wait so long..? Suffice to say, I have the driving bug already...

I am looking to buy my first car, budget £3,000.

Now, I have only driven a few cars so far, and it has become clear to me that what I am looking for most is a car that is fun to drive!

So, question is - as Puma drivers, would you recommend the Puma as a first car? Most of my mates think I should get something like a Peugeot etc (boooring) - so, any advice?

Cheers!

We are all a little biased and will no doubtedly say yes...lol.

The fact of the matter is they are fantastic little cars that are very rewarding to drive and still look stylish compared to brand new cars of today. Chances are you'll be disappointed with most other cars in comparison once you've driven a Puma.

You only have to read about very recent and past members to the Puma fold to see how suprising they have found the Puma to be - in a good way of course. Me being one myself as I have only just re-iterated in an earlier post today. I only came across my Puma by chance as it wasn't even a consideration for me in the past - I'm so glad I didn't dismiss it as it's been one of the most fun cars I've had ;)

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah I must admit I find most cars today a little soulless - I like to feel like I'm on the road, rather than sitting in some luxury hovercraft 2 feet above it!

I must say that after all the research I have done the Puma is looking like a good bet at the moment, it seems to be ticking all the right boxes for me - not too expensive, still serviceable without breaking the bank (probably because it's a Ford...) and most importantly fun to drive.

Cheers, any other advice regarding looking for a second hand one is very welcome!

As I said in chat they handle pretty well. Didnt realise your age though, 1.7 should be fine. SHocked at the insurance price you told me!!

lol - yeah I haven't really dug around too much yet, I'm sure I could get a better deal!

In my opinion, i would suggest you could own a Puma as your first car...... and your second and third and maybe fourth if you really like them.
They are fantastic cars. Granted they are no there with the top end speed but this isnt the Daytona...
If you like messing about with cars under the bonnet and inside etc, then have a look through the Projects section... there are many wacky and great things out there that can be done...

For me, short of a FRS2.... The Puma is right up there for enjoyment.

don't get one as a first car - anything you own afterwards will be a disappointment

alright - forget the Captain Sensible comment: get one and forever reflect on how much fun your kat was to drive/handle when you no longer have it!

with your budget you should get a really good example.they do have there niggly bits like getting a free shower if you hit the wash wipe with the window down doing 70mph like me the other day! mines got a squeek when i steer at low speeds,but there pretty cheap to get parts for.if poss buy from a reputable garage and that way you could get a years warrenty (think the min is 3 months but not defo on that)

This is great - thanks for all the info everyone!

I think I'm being a bit of a lame-o, but I can't find the buyer's guide anywhere on the site - could someone point me in the right direction if they know the link please?

Thanks again!

Welcome :)
There's some FAQs here http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

& the buyer's guide here http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck in your search :grin:

Fantastic, thanks very much! Very impressed with this community already...!

I'm a bloke in his 30's who's owned over 40 cars and driven nearly 750,000 miles and have recently brought a 1.7 Puma. I needed something economical to do an 80 mile commute for a new contract I'm on but it needed to be fun too. Didn't want to spend much as already have a 7 seater 4x4 so picked up a '98 1.7 in very good nick (80k with FSH and no rot) for £630 on eBay. I rate it in the top 5 cars I've ever owned and thoroughly enjoy every drive I take in it. Plus I get around 40 mpg so I'm well chuffed. There's a reputable car magazine called EVO that I subscribe to and they have a breakdown of all the performance/sports cars of the last 20 years or so called 'The Knowledge'. This gives the cars a rating out of 5 stars and list the positives and negatives of each one. The Puma 1.7 gets 5 stars and they simply list the positives as 'Everything' and the negatives as 'Nothing'! Says it all really. Get one!

MikB23 said:
I'm a bloke in his 30's who's owned over 40 cars and driven nearly 750,000 miles and have recently brought a 1.7 Puma. I needed something economical to do an 80 mile commute for a new contract I'm on but it needed to be fun too. Didn't want to spend much as already have a 7 seater 4x4 so picked up a '98 1.7 in very good nick (80k with FSH and no rot) for £630 on eBay. I rate it in the top 5 cars I've ever owned and thoroughly enjoy every drive I take in it. Plus I get around 40 mpg so I'm well chuffed. There's a reputable car magazine called EVO that I subscribe to and they have a breakdown of all the performance/sports cars of the last 20 years or so called 'The Knowledge'. This gives the cars a rating out of 5 stars and list the positives and negatives of each one. The Puma 1.7 gets 5 stars and they simply list the positives as 'Everything' and the negatives as 'Nothing'! Says it all really. Get one!

Pretty much have to agree with this - had some very quick cars before and driven for 34 years - this is certainly one of the best!!!

MikB23 said:

So many people have commented on my gaycar- green eyes I tell them, this is a Moondust Earth Kitt sex bomb on wheels. Love her to bits. Always had big cars, LandRover 109, LandRover Freelander (gaycar), lost two cylinder head gaskets in a year... decided to begin looking... had a year off driving due to illness and even tho' I love to drive, I've turned into a Sunday pootler!!! Can the change be reversed? Will I have to start wearing tweed? Shall I buy driving gloves? I'm not ready to drive like a cat lady/geography teacher. I want to go whizz/bang down the A19/A690. Mmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooowwww!
Think i got the best bargain. A polished engine and a new friend!

The Puma should be called Seratonin - it makes you happy!

It makes me laugh when people say 'A Puma? Thats a girls car isn't it?' My mate was giving me a bit of stick so I chucked him the keys and told him to take it for a spin. He came back grinning ear to ear and he's got a Porsche on his ownership CV.

Let me put it this way, I bought a puma as my first car 6 months ago, and today i'll be buying my second. Not because of any mechanical faults but purely because I want the lux pack...and any of my mates remarks about it being a hairdressers car stopped once I gave them a lift in it. Oh, and one last thing....roundabouts :thumbs:

bigJ said:
Oh, and one last thing....roundabouts :thumbs:

I had the boot full of gateaux the other day so was driving very carefully. My son was amazed cos he'd never been rouund a roundabout so sedately in the Puma lol

Latest posts

Back