foot well lights to come on with headlights...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiggZy

Hey, I want to put some dim glow footwell lights (led strips) to come oon when my headlights are turned on. I did this in my 09 plate fiesta but it was easy as you just removed the box that the light switches are in and put the wires in. Seeing as the lights on a puma are on a stalk, is there a way I can still do this? Or can I possibly attach the wire to the wires going to all the heating knob bulbs etc that come on with the headlight? I think I'm really confusing myself and its an easy job but I'm new to all of this

Cheers :) x

im sure you could just cut into the wiring loom and add them into it with out too much trouble. just take a feed from the dash lights.

PumaJay is right. that wil work :)

Or yyou can just steal the light wire from one of the switches in the dash :) ie heated screen, or fog light.

Depends on how easy you want it...

I think the easiest and nearest point will be the lighting feed for the heater panel.

Havnt had a chance to try yet but thinking of going with one of the heating panel lights. Not really good at electronics so I'm not really sure how to get to them, is it just a case of taking apart the centre panel, looking for the lighting wires going to the small bulb, and then tapping in to it with the led wires?

Done this before. I used the illumination wire for the instrument cluster as I had already cut it for another feed. There's a screw behind the radio that can be used for the negative

sorry im really rubbish/new at this, whats the instrument cluster? and how co i get to it/the light wires? also when i connect it to it is it a case of stripping back some of the wire coating and wrapping the led light wires around it or is it more complicated than that? i swear thats pretty much what i did in my new fiesta haha

BiggZy said:
sorry im really rubbish/new at this, whats the instrument cluster? and how co i get to it/the light wires? also when i connect it to it is it a case of stripping back some of the wire coating and wrapping the led light wires around it or is it more complicated than that? i swear thats pretty much what i did in my new fiesta haha
I'll never know why wiring loom makers don't just put a blanked off spur wire for lighting and another one for constant 12v off the cigar lighter. Would take them seconds to add in.

That aside, here's how to do what you want -

#1. Remove radio and heater panel (2 screws at top, then slide up and out.)
#2. Remove the smaller plug at the bottom of the heater panel.
#3. Check that plug for the wire that does become live when the panel lights are on. It's orange and something, but be careful as there is another orange/another colour wire that has 12v all the time. So, careful you pick the right wire.
#4. Connect your LED power wire to this with a blue 3M connector (they are fine for this job, but don't use them on high current using stuff.)
#5. Bolt your earth wire to the radio chassis or similar.
#6. You're done.

Hi easyest and best way to do this is to get a piggy back fuse holder find fuse in fuse box near steading wheel that gives out power when you turn lights on. The piggy back will hold 2 Fuses 1 for the headlight fuse and the other for the fuse that you would run the wire to the footwell lights
Hope this helps you

Back