ford puma 1.7 maybe fitting 1.4 gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

hi my 1.7 ford puma gearbox is a little awekward to get into reverse sometimes if i put clutch back in give a little rev will clink in only happens sometimes i can live with it at the moment as been like this for over a year now but i have just got a 1.4 puma which is a right off front end crash but has a good gearbox. i know the ratios would be different and top speed be less but acceleration quiker. The point is you will never be using top speed anyway so is it a good idea to try it? and are the drive shafts the same and would the 1.4 gearbox connect to the 1.7 engine? i might just keep the 1.4 gearbox and use it if i need it

any feedback would be great and
Thankyou in advance to anyone who has mechanical knowhow and if it would work.

Jason

:twisted: :roll: :eek:k:

It should work, they're both IB5 and I'm pretty confident everything else can just be swapped.

The 1.7 gearbox has much better ratios than the 1.4 (or any other IB5 for that matter)

Swapping the final drive out of the 1.4 or 1.6 would give better acceleration while retaining the best gearing.
You`d lose some top end, but how often do you need more than 110 mph anyway?

thankyou for the feedback i will keep the 1.4 box and either fit it when 1.7 box reverse gets to bad or experiment!

Jason

:evil: :thumbs: :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back