FPR airbox alternative

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chukz00

Hi,

I have tried a few air intake methods and got a few questions.

1. K&N cone filter - no performance gains at all, nice sound

2. Standrad airbox with resonator removed & ducting pipe attached to the front bumper as cold air intake. Felt faster response on throttle and increased mpg however normal sound.

3. Now I have removed the original air feed on the side of the airbox, blocked the hole so the air is forced from the front of the bumper to the airbox directly, kinda like the FPR mod. Sounds reaal sporty, less chavy than the cone. I haven't got the tools and time to perform the frp airbox mod but i was wondering if this is equivalent to the mod or if it does more harm than good.

Any improvement ideas would be appreciated.

:)

dont drive through deep water if youv blocked up the side feed

i have put some shaped carbon fibre inserts into mine to aid airflow through the box...

Yeah thats an obvious one, luckily we dont get floods in cambridge :cool:

Been driving with this setup for a week now and decided to put the side feed back in cos i felt that the car was using more petrol. I dont get how the FPR mod is different to what i have, but i dont get a gain in performance.

it looks good to me but the gains will always be minimal with the n/a engine, its hard to get better power from the engines without significant internal changes....and rev increases.

I dont know the answer to this but the FRP engine can rev to 7200 rpm reasonably safely....I would have thought the std engine could do the same if not a bit more as it does not have the frp cams...it may be worth investigating a method of revving the car to say 7500 rpm, I would bet that you could easily see another 20 bhp or more doing that...and you would not haveto change much at all...the injectors can cope...the air flow will cope and the engine I am sure shold be able to cope as long as it is in good condition, and they are cheap to source anyway...

just a thought...or you could just fit a mild turbo install, dont boost above 5 bar as it will screw the engine up very quickly as it did on mine...I went through three engines in less than 2000 miles before I foud a happy compromise 7bar doable but will break the engine eventually if you use it all the time,5bar is safe and wont break the engine quickly..

yeah, dunno about performance gains but if done well the car responds better

I fitted a sheilded cone with cold air feed. the car now feels much more responsive and rorty under acceleration.

I fitted a sheilded cone with cold air feed. the car now feels much more responsive and rorty under acceleration.

@paulob1 dont know if a turbo kit in a 1.4 is a good idea :!: and im abit confused, are you suggesting high revs will give you more horsepower?

@slayllian Did you buy the whole kit in one? Or did you just have a shielded cone stuck at the end of the MAF and a cold airfeed from the bumper?

paulob1 said:
it looks good to me but the gains will always be minimal with the n/a engine, its hard to get better power from the engines without significant internal changes....and rev increases.

I dont know the answer to this but the FRP engine can rev to 7200 rpm reasonably safely....I would have thought the std engine could do the same if not a bit more as it does not have the frp cams...it may be worth investigating a method of revving the car to say 7500 rpm, I would bet that you could easily see another 20 bhp or more doing that...and you would not haveto change much at all...the injectors can cope...the air flow will cope and the engine I am sure shold be able to cope as long as it is in good condition, and they are cheap to source anyway...

just a thought...or you could just fit a mild turbo install, dont boost above 5 bar as it will screw the engine up very quickly as it did on mine...I went through three engines in less than 2000 miles before I foud a happy compromise 7bar doable but will break the engine eventually if you use it all the time,5bar is safe and wont break the engine quickly..

You do know that 5bar is about 72psi yes?

No wonder you went through 3 engines in 2000 miles ;)

Im gonna try fitting a cone filter to mine some time.Ive modded the air box so that its getting a better feed of air from the front of the car.

Latest posts

Back