Front wheel bearing help...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsbegood

Hi guys. Looking at doing my sisters front passenger wheel bearing as it sounds terrible. Is there any good how to guides around? I'm purchasing a fiesta 95-02 Haynes manual to aid me. Is there anything I should know? Kit seems to consist of bearing, bolt and circlip? Any advice, pointers and tips would be great.
Paul

Would this be the type I'd need??

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=170685154405&kw=170685154405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul

Yep, that's the kind of thing. You'll also need some suitably sized "drifts" to push the bearings with on the press.

Ok. Where can I get some drifts? Would an ample sized socket be ok?? I take it u can't press against the soft part of the bearing when pushing it in to the hub? U would have to use the outer bearing metal part to push against?
Paul

That's right, only push against the outer bearing race, not the inner parts. A suitably sized socket would be ideal or a length of steel tube etc.
Once you have the old bearing out you can cut a slot in the outer race, discard the inner bits and then use that as a "drift" to push the new bearing in with. It will be the perfect size for the job!

Sounds like someone's done this before ;-)
I'll give it a bash. If not I'll drop the hub down to my mechanic mate and let him press it in for me.
Thanks for ur guidance. U ever need any guidance on a passat or a4 then pop on over to ukpassats and Ill try and help u out.
Thanks again
Paul

johnsbegood said:
Sounds like someone's done this before ;-)
I'll give it a bash. If not I'll drop the hub down to my mechanic mate and let him press it in for me.
Paul

pressing the new bearing in is the easy bit... you'll need the right tool to remove the inner casing from the hub flange... :grin:

Rgds

Well I've got a Haynes fiesta manual,95-02 version on it's way so will assess from the write up whether i could do it or just strip it down then run the hub down to the local garage for them to press the new bearing in and drop them a ten pound note.
Cheers
Paul

johnsbegood said:
U ever need any guidance on a passat or a4 then pop on over to ukpassats and Ill try and help u out.

Crikey! Happy memories. I was a regular on UKPassats when it was first getting going. I had a B5.5 TDi 130 at the time in a very unfortunate shade of green. Never should have sold that car. Nice to see the forum is still going. :grin:

By the way does anyone know what size the torx bit is on the lower ball joint? Will need to undo to remove the bolt and nut to take hub carrier from the car to the press. Ta

Brill. Best get one on order then. Normal bit or longer shaft one like a 100mm version. If the ball joint it seized in badly can I just unscrew the ball joint off the suspension arm?

OEM ball joint is riveted (3) to the arm. If it is held on with nuts and bolts it's been replaced. For the price, if you have the arms off, I would replace them anyway.

Having cursed and suffered trying to change my bearings, and putting hubs in the oven and bearings in the freezer, I eventually went to a local engineering business and they pressed 2 in for £5 and even they struggled they needed a 6ft breaker bar on the press !!

Blue3 said:
Having cursed and suffered trying to change my bearings, and putting hubs in the oven and bearings in the freezer, I eventually went to a local engineering business and they pressed 2 in for £5 and even they struggled they needed a 6ft breaker bar on the press !!

Crikey! That was one stubborn bearing! :lol:

Its usually worth paying £10 or £15 or so to get a local garage to press them to be fair. I suppose its possible to press them in yourself without a press, but I reckon you'd be more likely to knack the bearings. Not worth trying IMHO.

To be honest my only worry is separating the ball joint from the hub carrier. I've had experience with separating all 4 ball joints each side on my passat and I'm sure all mechanics start to worry when they see a a4,a6 or passat rolling in with knocking noise from the front and the infamous pinch nut and bolt.
A mechanic mate has said he'd press the bearing out and press the new one in for me for free but I'll probably tip him a tenner.

Blue3 said:

that sounds rediculous... pressing in the new bearing after you've done all the other hard work is a piece of cake!.. any basic machine mart 10ton press will do...

however... FULLY removing the old bearing is where the work is...

first you'll have to push out the hub flange and break the bearing in half...

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5650/knuckle12.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then pull off the bearing casing thats stuck right down the bottom of the hub flange...(not so easy!)

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3680/bearingcasing3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

push out the rest of the bearing casing.. ( a shaped bar machined up with the same contour is perfect :) )

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2564/knuckle05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THEN..push the new one in... http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7335/knuckle07.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then push the hub back through the bearing...retaining the bearing underneath so you don't damage or split the new bearing in half...

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5060/knuckle09.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

job done.... usually around £100 or so labour at a garage.... if your getting that done for free your doing well..lol

:cool: :cool:

I was thinking that aswell but I'll pop some cash in his pocket as a thank you.
I thought I would of had it done with a wood chisel, tack hammer and a bit of 32mm PVC waste pipe to do the bearing. Not sure if that little lot will do the job now ;-) lol

Back