FRP front brake conversion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerousandy

I have purchased a pair of FRP Alcon 4-pot calipers for my Millennium project, and I was wondering what size discs I need to use. I think I will need 280mm discs (Focus?) but I am not 100% certain.

You need FRP discs, anything else is pure bodge. Plus FRS aside, the Focus only had 300mm or 258mm discs.

seems a very expensive way of upgrading the brakes. they are notoriously high maintenance and bits cost a fortune!! may have been better sourcing a brembo set up?

see my how to guide for all info......

You want hispec discs.....
Pads from hispec
calipers NEED fully stripping and stainless bolts and spraying on inside.....

Sorry to sound a bit rude but because your asking this i can tell you havent done your research. This is going to cost you circa £700.....and if you dont spend that itl cost you a lot more this time next year when things need replacing because you didnt do your research!
Sorry, just being honest......have a good think if you want to go through with this.....might be worth selling them....because if there the ones i saw on ebay they have potential to be excellent calipers....if you dont spend the money now they will be needing a lot of money spending on them in just a year or 2.

^ Agreed, especially if you don't know when the calliper was last stripped down and serviced. There are some seriously manky ones around that are closer to the bin than anything.

Then again... they might already be in good shape in which case....

The discs are 295mm .. Textar do some good pads you can use!

Then check the callipers over, give them a clean up, make sure the pistons are smooth and the seals are in good shape. Put it all on the car possibly with some braided hoses and away you go!

Pumabuild have them..

http://pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43_47_179&products_id=2197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£400 for the pair, you may be able to haggle with them a bit on the price..

Pumabuild bought most of what was left of Fords Racing Puma stock when they were discontinued earlier on in the year, so that's probably the best place to look first for original parts.

wow thats some price for some discs, i think i had a close call there, i nearly brought some frp calipers the other day, i brought some 4 pot cosworth calipers instead

Hmm £400 is a bit steep, although that's about the same price as the discs on my Supra (which are also handed). Can you not get aftermarket discs for the FRP? I.e drilled/grooved etc. I've just purchased a genuine Racing Puma rear beam complete with discs/hubs/handbrake cable etc and Powerflex bushes. That's the rear brakes sorted!

I bet ST170's fit.

I have these (300mm - 45 quid new!) on my 1.7 with Mondeo calipers and pad (stopping is fantastic), only 5mm diff to the FRP disc so 2.5mm each side, so you might not us the very edge / last few mm of the outside of the pad - big deal.

FRP on a std engined Puma seems excessive if no increase in power. Above muc mch cheaper and will do 90% of what the FRP setup will do.

People have used the ST170 discs, but the general concensus is that they don't work, and should not be used with the FRP calipers. I seem to recall that the thickness is noticably outside of the FRP spec, and the offset isn't quite right either. They can be used, but it is very much a bodge.

FlashBastd said:
People have used the ST170 discs, but the general concensus is that they don't work, and should not be used with the FRP calipers. I seem to recall that the thickness is noticably outside of the FRP spec, and the offset isn't quite right either. They can be used, but it is very much a bodge.
You could be right. But then that is not what I did, so just a guess. Those disc prices are bonkers by the way. I'm sure HiSpec or BG racing could do better (and that are solids - not even with an alloy bell for the - Daft).

FRP brakes on a 125bhp Puma is just pointless anyway. The FRP fair enough as it has not just a bit more power but will be banged into corners alot faster.

I am considering the same Alcon B / H calipers for something with 500+bhp (but can't be too big a caliper as it has to go under a 15J rim :grin: :p

hey flashbastd, ive been pointed in ur direction of an inquiry into the fitting mondeo calipers behind the standard puma's 15's and was wondering how much filing is needed to get them behind, and would buyin some 17's b more benificial? thanks

From what I can gather, it is only the carriers that need grinding back, however if you have the turbine/propellor style wheels, you also need spacers, so I wouldn't bother if you have those.

Rather than going for 17" wheels, I went for 16" wheels, trying to keep as close to standard as possible. It is the offset that is REALLY important though - this is the position of the centre line of the wheel relative to the mating face of the wheel. You want it as close to ET34 as possible. ET40 is too much, some say even ET37/8 is too much.

Minimal grinding and a 2mm spacer are fine for the std 15" "Propellars"!

It is only a shopper, run about , what is the point in dicking about changing wheels AND tyres!

Latest posts

Back