FRP rear tone rings

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey s

Hi, ive managed to Prize off the old tone ring with a flat head screw driver and have fitted the new ring. However when i put it back on the car (not even tightning the hub bolt) and spin the hub the new ring rubs against the hub & sensor?? I take it this is not normal, any suggestions and answers please help.

Sounds like you haven't tapped it onto the drum far enough. Check that it's the same height as the original one then you know it should be ok then tap it on a bit more......gently ;)

EDIT:- ACK!!!...yours is the FRP i.e. discs. I have no idea so totally ignore the crap above, sorry :x

Cheers yips anyway, the ring is fully on the hub though i was reading a recent post that may indicate the bearing had gone? There is signs on the sensor that it has been rubbing in the past and the old tone rings were flatter compare to the new ones (rubbing again). So would i be correct to assume it is the bearing?

there's no room for error here at all... :lol:

the bearing must be fully located and the tone wheel set VERY close to the sensor... to press the tone cap down evenly so it doesn't hit the sensor all the way round can be tricky...try pressing the tone cap on a little further...

I have noticed the drivers side seems to be more prone to this problem than the passenger side...don't ask me why... unless of course the spindles were not altered to the same depth, just to play tricks on us..lol

:lol:

Just the person i was waiting for :) Funny you say that its the drivers rear I started on and having issues with as this was the side that originally brought up the lights.

How do you mean the bearing should be fully located? I'm pretty sure the tone ring is as pressed on the hub as far as it should be looks just like the original.

So you dont think it could be anything to do with a dodgy bearing as the original looked like it was scraping the sensor at some point as the sensor head and tone ring are both worn down.

Right been having a play again, i have even swapped the hubs over and the passenger one spins smoothly on the drivers. I have also compared the two to make sure the rings are fully pressed on the hub which they are.

Are there any other methods you can do to see if the bearing is knackered. I poked my finger through the center of the bearing and there is alot more play moving up and down wise than there is on the other side?

old rear bearings (not necessarily knackered) have a very loose feel when you spin them on the car.. when you spin a new one it feels much tighter and stops spinning noticably sooner...

i'd suggest if the tone washer was worn down, definatly replace the bearing... if your really having problems getting it all back on and tone washer still rubbing, you could try getting a TINY amount more machined of the hub where the washer sits down....

if the tone washer just literally feathers the sensor and doesn't strike it enough to deform it, you may get away with that....

you'll be able to tell at slow speeds whether the ABS is getting confused or not as you'll hear ticking from the ABS module

rgds

Well atm when i push the hub onto the spindle/knuckle and tighten the hub bolt it is pretty much clamped tight to the knuckle and spinning is difficult causing serious rub which would most definately cause damage to both sensor and tone ring.

I take it the bearing is a focus part? Do we have part numbers to confirm? Any ideas on cost? I will take both hubs down to a local garage to get them pressed.

Wow, got a quote from frauds and one bearing costs £68.14 inc tax then pay the additional to get pressed. Would it be worth me spending the extra on the pumabuild nice shiny new whole hub complete with bearing £116.50 inc p&p. I take it pumabuild would have had them machined down to spec?

Latest posts

Back