FRP Splitter causing car to bounce!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyeBoi

ok so I think I have found the problem. I swapped my front wheels over with my mate in an attempt to discover the bouncing my car is doing and when he got back he said my front splitter was waving at him.

It was moving up and down like made and making the car bounce!

its like when you put your arm out the window and let the air push it up and down..

anyone else had this problem?

I think I am going to find some stainless steel bolts to put through the front and allow me to secure it at the front.

mmm I know some people do do that... might be worth taking it off and trying? maybe replace it with some black mesh?

No its better with the gap blocked off, otherwise its not working properly and may even induce lift if air is free to flow over both surfaces! Mine has a custom carbon panel blocking this off, as does Colin's Mili...

You do need to make sure its securely fixed, mine is bolted tight and then sealed on with extra sikaflex!

Colin's Mili also had some excellent drop links that I will try to find a picture of, which I would love to copy as this is the best solution. :)

A picture is worth a thousand words:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

But if it's better blocked off then why was this not the design for the FRP?

Good question!

I would guess that 1) Ford fitted it mainly for looks, and 2) with mesh as on the FRP probably does generate a higher pressure on the upper surface as the airflow is still disrupted somewhat?

I think point 1) is more valid though, the FRP isn't low enough to gain much benefit from a chin spoiler like that anyway. A spoiler of this kind's effectiveness increases exponentially with its proximity to the road surface as the air underneath is forced to flow faster and faster.

you make a lot of sense pat! :eek:k:

I am going to get some drop links to secure the front and go from there.

crap! im running a s1600 (bigger) carbon splitter on an frp minus the mesh (redone the bumper aka s1600) and want to lower it eventually.....er!

no problems with bounce etc yet tho

in theory with the pressure equalled due to no top mesh then yours should be countering itself?

your never going to have equal air flow top and bottom due to the bumper design anyway and as a splitter its not how its meant to work. Its meant to work to split the airflow over the car and under the car rather than the small amount of flow through the grill holes. A well set up splitter will work better lower to the ground.

If it was such a problem then why didnt they block the holes on the S1600 which was wind tunnel tested??? probably because the difference is minimal.

rigidity is important hence you will find the S1600 splitter is well braced with metal supports as well as a thick plank of wood!!!

Back