Fuel leak - But from where!?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtfulHussy

I can smell fuel inside the car. Not at all times, I think it appears more during/after a 10/15 minute journey. The level of fuel in the tank makes no difference, can be totally full or light-on empty and I can still smell it. It doesn't happen every journey either..

I have stuck my head under the car at both ends but can't smell anything. I've stuck my head under the bonnet and can't smell anything. I have tried to have a look around the tank (what I can see without jacking up, so not much) but there's no obvious wet patches. I will of course endeavour to get a better look, but if it were leaking from the tank surely I would smell it when I put my head down there? The only place I can smell it is inside the car, and it is strong enough to give me a headache. Opening the windows doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference.

I don't think I'm getting unusually low mpg so hopefully not losing too much. Can anyone make any suggestions as to where to look?

I will hopefully get under the car to look soon as doing a clutch change in the next couple of weeks. I would have thought if it were the tank there would be a constant smell of fuel, but I only seem to get it during or immediately after driving. Could it be something to do with the uptake from the tank maybe?

Check around the breather pipe where it goes into the rear of the tank........I speak from experience!!!!! :-( :-(

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]364583[/post] but I only seem to get it during or immediately after driving
Which might suggest a point forward of the fuel tank?

No idea of cost, as what I used was supplied, but this is the usual type of route to take with this sort of problem - http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Workshop+Tools/Leak+Detection/Fluorescent+Dyes/RLD4

Hence my confusion. The obvious culprit is the tank and I'm aware of issues they are prone to, but I'm struggling to smell fuel under there. I'll definitely have to get under for a better look. I'll look into the cost of the dye as I may help. I don't want to have to remove the tank if I don't have to.

I have almost the same situation. Have already jacked the car up and had a really good look around and found nothing. Will be taking the tank down to check it. I think it helps if the tank is not full and as my driveway is rather steep, when I back up to enter my carport it starts smelling. So my guess is there is something wrong at the front of it... Which would make sense; it gets washed up from front so that would be the starting point for the corrosion of the tank... Again, this is just educated guess

My Pumita smells outside, not inside, after long or shaky drives. My mechanic is certain it is the uptake (?) of the tank with the pipe (the orifice where you place the pistol to pour fuel). It is corroded and he thinks it can only be replaced along with the whole tank.

Most mecahnics say cars from central or northern Europe (Germany in my case) are comparatively more corroded than local, Catalan, cars.

The tank seams do become porous with age/corrosion so it is possible for leaks to go un-traced if the tank is never full, ie only smells on the move.
The filler pipe is I think in 3 pieces, the cap fitting....a plastic pipe...then a flexible pipe onto the connection on the tank

Latest posts

Back