Fuel leak....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

Dammit! Don't think this is connected to my eking just under 60 miles with the fuel light on as the system did not start 'coughing' or die, run dry etc. and I didn't notice this fuel smell when I first filled up.

However, later last night - had to fuel up again and noticed strong smell of fuel in the car, thought it was a temporary thing so didn't think much about it. Today had to drive up to and around Birmingham again and had fumes in the car the whole way, most notably when slow or stationary (simple laws of physics that part).

Couldn't do much more than kneel down and have quick nose underneath in the afternoon, can see fuel dripping - fairly slow - from the lower arm, passenger side.

Have made it home now.... may get to it this evening, failing that it will be tomorrow morning.
Before I get out with the trolley, axle stands etc - is there anywhere that is common or likely to have sprung a leak, to cause collecting/drip in that area?

I throw it open to the great Puma collective... :-D

Check the pipes going to the fuel rail. Think they have those annoying plastic fittings on them. One of them has started leaking on mine and could be causing the dripping down the front passenger side as described. Worrying risk of it getting to the exhaust manifold with ease.... Hope this helps

Cheers for that... I did wonder about the ease of going up in flames :pinkeye:

I have always had a sneaking suspicion the Puma and I would die a fiery death - but I normally assumed this would be backwards, through a hedge, the smell of burning brake and rubber heavy on the air.

I will go out and have a quick look in a few minutes... but imagine any fiddling around will be tomorrow now.

I have had a look.....

It doesn't show too well in the pics but that haze, mist is actually very fine fuel droplets being liberally sprayed into the engine bay a few inches to the right side of the engine block and in close proximity to the battery and various other wires. It was more visible and plentiful than the pics are showing.

That is at idle I imagine it was worse when throttle engaged..

mist.jpg

mist2.jpg

Time was pushing on and so didn't get it up on stands, take bits off/out - couldn't see the actually point of origin, just the general area and spray of fuel.

Guess I may be lucky not to be one of those toasted wrecks you see on the hard shoulder at times.

I have the more detailed probing fun ahead of me tomorrow.... oh err.. :oops:

Looks like you've a split / pinhole in a fuel line :cry:

Okay, found the leak... Seems strange - it isnt a split, or a weakening join/connector. Its tucked in and at angle that makes it had to see but it is at the back of engine bay (behind some circular doohicky-thingamy- whatsit) just as it curves and goes straight down the firewall.

At which point the plastic-feeling section of pipe (usedin engine bay) is connected/sealed to the metal fuel line that then runs the length of car... more of that 'join' later.

Location of leak, viewed from drivers side of engine bay.
CIMG0065.jpg

Viewed from underneath passenger foot-well, looking straight up
CIMG0070.jpg

And this shows where the lines turn, angle down and are joined to the metal line that comes along from tank and filter... the join is that slight swelling circled in blue. The fuel pipe that continues into engine - which has leak - is plastic and has an almost perfectly circular hole approx 2-3mm across (which pisses out fuel quite rapidly).

CIMG0074.jpg

Was going to try some kind of temp fix... seal, wrap, whatever... but surely it is just a matter of cutting out section with the hole, and securely fitting in a new section?

Or if can get a whole plasticy fuel pipe - as in engine bay - then can break the join (at the blue circle, last pic) and fit in, seal the new line/pipe?

If any of that makes the slightest sense.. :whoops:

Sorted - faulty section of the pipe sliced out and replaced.

No more fumes, no more pissing petrol (money) away - not to mention, no more risk of flambeing myself. All for the princely sum of £4.50 and a small amount of my time.

:eek:k:

Back