garage struggling to remove belt pulley

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magyrato

Just had a call from the garage and they can't remove the exhaust cam pulley on the red un. He said he's never seen a pulley on this tight ever.
He's worried they'll break the cam shaft as it's a hollow casting. Don't suppose anyone has ever heard any tips or dodges to get a stuck pulley off. :? :? :-(

Err.. some penetrating oil perhaps? I know it's got to be a tight fit but it shouldn't be that difficult.

That doesn't sound great, are they doing the cambelt change?
If they break the camshaft then they'll have to replace it :?

Sounds like a right pig though. I haven't heard of any hints or tips.

I do hope they get it sorted though. Poor Red'Un

yep they are doing the belt change. that was the reason he called though he's put their continuing work on me so if they break the cam it's on me now. From what he was saying its well past penetrating oil lol.
I've always favoured putting the tension on a taper pulley like that then giving it a hefty lump with the Mark one adjusting tool or FBH to give it it's proper name. Not sure how much room there is to do that though. Or how much the cam will take.
Nothing is ever simple :hide: :hide:
I can't look until he calls back and gives me the news either way

:'( :'( :'( They've broke him. Well the camshaft anyway Not happy not at all. I'm off to sulk now. No Red un all weekend now and into next week Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Anyone know how much performance cams are and what else needs to be done to the engine etc though not really sure if I want them fitting them anyway. Just trying to turn a negative into a positive.

In under 3 hours they've turned your beast into a chocolate teapot :(

Uprated cams (For example the piper ones) would require an ECU upgrade if I remember rightly, so that it still runs smoothly and you get the benefit of having the work done.

Dal should be along to point out my errors.

Having had a quick look about I think it will be too much money anyway looking like 350-400 fr a pair of fast road cams and then there's the time factor in getting them as well. Some of the m,ilder cams say the existing ecu should cope but would have thought some sort of re map would be needed to get the best from them.

Yes. when you start going down the engine mod path things add up very quickly because then you want a different branch manifold, stainless exhaust system, racing inlet manifold. Then you've pretty much ended up with a racing puma engine.

It's a daily car as well so standard is the way to keep it I think, I've had tuned engines in bikes before but they weren't daily transport so not such a problem if they have any niggles. I'll think I'll keep my money for suspension and handling items.

Has your garage managed to sort out the damage they caused yet? I hope they haven't made you pay for their mistakes.

They are still waiting for the cam shaft to come in from Ford Germany thats two weekends now without the car. They have leant me a courtesy car. A van last week, then a focus for the weekend so at least it was that that got covered in salt and nearly buried in the snow.
Suposedly the part has left Germany now so should be here soon. I however am not holding my breath.

:D :D :D He's backkkkkk Finally got him fixed and all in one piece. I only paid for the cam belt work as well. :eek:k: :eek:k:
I have never been so relieved to get back in my own car and hear it start.
One more thing apparently there are now cam shafts in the UK at Daventry both inlet and exhaust. I hope no one has to order one but if you do and it's only one they are packaged wrongly. Part of the reason it took so long to get done was the fact that the 1st one to arrive was for the wrong side. So re-order \again checking part numbers micro fiche etc. Stil it comes in wrong, just over night thanks to being in UK now. More calls to Germany, Daventry et al. Third camshaft comes in ...... wrong. So garage orders the other side and presto bongo it's the right item.
Milo now purrs better than ever. 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back