Gaz coilovers fitting. Have I done somthing wrong?????

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringy_01

Hi guys and gals.
Iv fitted my gaz coilovers today. All is well except 2 facts
1 is that front are wound all the way done and I can still fit my foot in the arch gap :s this doesnt bother me as id rather it handle well than look "stanced" "slammed sick bro" as its a track car not a show car. But im more worried about there not being enough travel in the shock.

And 2-
Everytime I turn the wheel I hear the noise I can only describe as spring binding.
Iv had to get rid of the nut that holds the little bearing down and the top hat weight. Could this be the reason its binding?

Any info and ill love you forever as I need the car sunday :0

Thank you

100% certain your springs are moving when you turn as the nut tightens down on the bearing so the bearing turns, not the spring! Not so sure about the other bits, i know the top helper spring needs to be squashed pretty much flat. Also do not use the original top weights.

Na not using top weights. Mine dont have helper springs :s
So I should put that nut on to tighten the bearing down realy?

Yes its to stop the spring rotating
When you turn, notice how the rears have no bearing as they do not need to turn

Probably a stupid quetion, but are you shure these coilovers are right for Your car? Because to me it sound's like they are ither monted completly wrong, or are for a different car, thet just happens to fit...
Ie the gap, whit the spring fully wound Down, there should not be a big Arch gap, unless Your engien is out. And the sprimg bimding/grinding, tels me that the top Mount bearing isn't doing it's job propperly....

I brought them brand new from corby motorsport who sorce them straight from gaz.
Just took the one side off and added the nut ontop on thw bearing and greased everything so shall see what happens. It seems to have made the car even higher now though :s will post a pic in asec

The rears are half way wound down and im happy with where they are but the front are fully wound down and can fit 3 fingers loosely inbetween arch and tyre :s

The big rubber dohnut? Iv reused them. Is that wrong? :s carnt understand why they are so high.
Iv had and fitted 7sets of coilovers in my time and usual just over half way is about right. If I wound any coilovers iv had all the way down on my civics the floor pan would basicaly be on the floor.

Yes that one :) some coilovers recuier them, some don't... just seems like it is as thick as the remaining gap...

Hi. I fitted Gaz Coilovers this year that I bought direct from Gaz. I have exactly the same issues as you. My fronts are wound down as far as they will go and I don't think the car is much lower than standard; The rears are about half way down and look right but as I race the car I would have liked more adjustment on the front. I have helper springs incidently. Called Gaz and they said they could do shorter springs if I wanted.

I also have the clunky noise when I am maneouvring at low speed. It disappears when I am driving normally. I used the big rubber mounts and new bearings on top of the coilovers. All I can think is that as the coilovers are wound down as far as poss the springs are loose in their seats so can move when I turn the wheel.

I dont have a problem with the car driving on road or track so I have kept going with them as they are. Car handles well on track too so I am not worrying about it!
Hope you get them as you want them

][img]

Latest posts

Back