Gearbox diff out of place

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujipuma

Hi, I'm changing my gearbox on a 1.7, but the differential cog that fits around the end of the driveshaft has slipped out of place, and will not return. Can I get to it by removing the drive shaft oil seal and the cog beneath that, or do I have to take the gearbox apart.

im sure i told you on the other forum that you cannot access anything by taking the seal out?

you should be able to turn that shaft back into position with everything in place though

Hi, Scuba steve, Sorry, I didnt look at pumapeople before I posted the second one - the gearbox is out of the car-its the replacement one that has the slipped cog. I had it posted from Britain (I'm in France), and it did not come with things stuffed in the driveshaft holes. It may have got knocked, so the diff cog is now on its side, so all I can see are the internal teeth. You would think it would just swivel round, but it won't!

yeah it should do, aslong as there is nothing in either driveshaft hole, i think you might just need to try harder lol

Hi, Scubasteve,
Thanks for the ultra-quick reply -I do have something in the other driveshaft hole, an old driveshaft end, cos I am terrified this side (drivers side, UK) will do the same thing! I'll take it out, and fix up some retaining device, and give it another go. I sort of feel I need to push the inside edge around. You sound like a person who knows what they are talking about, so while i've got your attention, I've always thought what would make the Puma perfect, other than an adjustable steering wheel, a aircon that works effectively, and rear discs, would be a 6th forward gear. Is it possible to reduce the ratio of the 5th gear?

iv stripped a few gearboxes in my time....

i wouldnt pull it apart for that....give it a good poke....you wont do it any harm

yeah it wont spin round if you have something in the other side

to answer your question, and as we are on the subject of diffs, an lsd makes loads of difference :)

yeah thats what i have and what i meant lol

im sure although they technically dont operate gripper plates and 'slip' that you can still define them as an LSD lol

Latest posts

Back