gearbox storage

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

Hi so now i have a 36k 1.7 puma gearbox and want to know the best way to store it as things in my shed go rusty i know there will be a bit of oil in it still but is it best to put 2 driveshaft ends in and fill right up with oil to stop it rusting
thankyou in advance

Jason

:p :roll: :eek:k:

I am affraid it wouldn't help much as the oil is not all the way up in the gearbox. I sprayed lots of WD40 inside and then wrapped it up with a foil to form almost an airtight seal all around the gearbox.
Hope that helps (and holds with my gearbox as well)

A bit more work, but, before fitting, you could drill, tap and fit a drain plug, where Ford blanked off the original drain plug position.
After fitting the box and running for a short while, you could then drain and replace with fresh oil.
In fact, I have an unused FRP (none LSD) gearbox in my garage, so, when I have time, will probably do this to it.

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]362189[/post] I am affraid it wouldn't help much as the oil is not all the way up in the gearbox. I sprayed lots of WD40 inside and then wrapped it up with a foil to form almost an airtight seal all around the gearbox.
Hope that helps (and holds with my gearbox as well)

what about driveshafts seal holes then tilt gearbox so fill hole is right at the top then fill with oil to the top?

Jason

:p :roll: :thumbs:

I guess you haven't checked the prices for gearbox oil? If you do it the way you suggest, you will end up with more value invested in the oil itself than the gearbox you are trying to save :cool:

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]362283[/post] I guess you haven't checked the prices for gearbox oil? If you do it the way you suggest, you will end up with more value invested in the oil itself than the gearbox you are trying to save :cool:

i think i shall try and ask my wife if i can put it under the stairs lol

Jason

:p :eek:k:

Back