Half Way Through Cam Belt - Stuck!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orenthal

Hello,

Recently bought my first Puma, 1.7 vct 1999 and straight away decided to do its timing belt as its overdue.

We're about half way through now and stuck and was hoping for some help from the experts here. We're trying to remove the stretch bolt on the inside of the VCT pulley which seems extremly tight and just won't come off, is there some trick or method to getting this off? We've tried with a spanner on the camshaft but it feels like its going to damage it and don't really want to do that. We've also got a makeshift ford tool which doesn't seem to help.

Here is a picture of the bit i'm talking about:

Thank you in advance for any help

According to the picture below it's over 100Nm so it will be quite stiff I suppose?

145.jpg

Thanks Roadrunner

I've seen that its supposed to be very stiff, but is it safe to use a spanner on the camshaft to hold it in place while we undo it? The last thing I want is to have the camshaft snap? Also do you definetly need an e18 star socket to do the job? as we're currently using a multihex socket as we don't have an e18?

This bolt will be very tight indeed, I use an air gun to get it off, if you havent got access to that then try and lock the wheel up with something.........what ever you do DONT lock on a power bar and flick the starter over, ive seen so many people do that and it more often that not ends in tears.

I very much doubt you will break the cam by locking of the cam wheel with some tool or another, but of coarse this could happen.

Try sticking it in gear and getting a m8 to hold the foot brake down

Good Luck

Mark

Ok i think we'll try it tommorow by wedging it with a spanner on the hex, will it be ok to use a multi socket or shall I try and buy a e18 before trying to get it off?

I had exactly the same problem a few years back, i was wondering if it was a left hand threaded bolt, as i just couldnt bugge it! Once i knew it was a normal thread, i got a spanner on the hex bit of the cam (alot of people try using the cam locking tool which results in broken cams!!)& put a scaffold tube over it for more leverage. Then i used a 600mm breaker bar on the cam pulley, and it came off really easily then! You just need more leverage, most people only have small spanners, so a scaffold tube over the top is an easy way to solve it. Dont try to put the spanner on the cam and then rotate the cam until it hits the head to stop it from turning, it will work, but you might damage your head.
Hope this helps

Decided to play it safe I think, we're going to get an air gun to do the job , along with an e18 star socket, not worth destroying the camshaft because we don't have the right tools! Just means the Puma will be up on a jack for a few days longer :-(

Back