Handbrake Warning Light Fault

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris3boro

Every so often the red '!' light for the handbrake flashes on and off-not as if it's supposed to be warning me, but like it;s faulty because it's slightly dim. It does this sometimes when turning the wheel or breaking. Only happens occasionally. Help please....:)

It could be that the switch for the light is a bit faulty, it can be found under the handbrake gaitor. Might be worth a check.

Hmmm, alright I'll have a look when I have some time. Weird thing is, most of the time it;s on one particular bend lol, when im turning left??!! Didn't do it 2 weeks ago when I bought it lol.

Check the brake fluid. Its a warning lamp to show the brake fluid is low. Since the brake master cylinder is also the master cylinder for the clutch it may be early warning you have a leaky clutch slave cylinder.

If its flashing, or dim, it may be on the edge of being low, and braking / steering will emphasise that lowness ( now there's a good word ;) )

Tiggr said:
Check the brake fluid. Its a warning lamp to show the brake fluid is low. Since the brake master cylinder is also the master cylinder for the clutch it may be early warning you have a leaky clutch slave cylinder.

If its flashing, or dim, it may be on the edge of being low, and braking / steering will emphasise that lowness ( now there's a good word ;) )

And that would make the handbrake light flicker? WOuldnt it set off another light instead?

nope - the handbrake light is the brake fluid level light ;)

When I bought my puma the front pads and disks were shot. The fluid level was also a bit low (as the pads were really low) and the light flickered.

Check your front brakes and fluid as Tiggr suggests Chris :eek:k:

fluid level is on the 'min' level. I'll top it up and see if that cures it. What stuff is best to get? Never put brake fluid in.

I'll pick some up tonight. Will have a look at the pads some time aswell, as theres a slight grind when braking quite heavily when first taking the car out. SImilar to rust on the discs, but the cars used most days now so shouldnt be that!

no its the spec majority of cars use, they even sell it in Morrisons...
it'll say in your handbook what spec you need (i wouldn't trust the monkeys at motorworld on anything, they'll probably tell you to put cooking oil in it)

As has been said above, if the lights coming on there is a problem with your brakes and you need to get it sorted asap. Hopefully its just low fluid, as thats easy enough to fix.

Says DOT 4 in hbook so put some of that in. I'll keep an eye on the level over next few days see how it goes.

as has been said; get your brakes checked. either you need new discs/pads or theres a leak...

Dad's had a look too, reckons the pads are spent. Will get the car up and take a ganders in next few days. Thanks guys

Dal said:
Not too expensive then :D

Not if that's what the problem is! :) Discs have a lip on them and seem to be v close to the calipers so think there's little meat on the pads tbh.

Only £75ish for greenstuff pads and discs. Std stuff probably cheaper ;)

Worn pads will explain the low brake fluid level and hence the warning light.

Dal said:
Only £75ish for greenstuff pads and discs. Std stuff probably cheaper ;)

Worn pads will explain the low brake fluid level and hence the warning light.

Yeh, tbh I didn't know Pumas had a warning light for low pads, seems pretty gd that they do imo. Most reasonably priced cars don't do they? :?

Latest posts

Back