has anyone lowered the steering column

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobrider

As the title suggests, on my track car project, I've mounted the bucket seats low down in an effort to lower some of the centre of gravity as such I could do with lowering the steering column.

I've a couple of ideas on how to do this but they involve welding some new brackets in. Has anyone done this and if so what method did you use.

Yes, I have and - helpfully - I can't remember how. I know we were going to weld something but think we may have found a simpler solution. Have you got any pics of where the column mounts? It might jog my memory.

lol, not yet, may pull the dash out this weekend if I get time. Got a flocking kit so going to do it at some point plus I need to remove a lot of the sound deadening from behind there.

Will take some pics when I get round to it. Thanks for replying

I need to take the gauges out soon anyway so will have a look / take a pic while I'm at it.

Actually, I would like the steering to be higher up and closer to me. Been thinkin' on putting in an adjustable MK1 focus steering mechanism, just have to find a good one and cheap…
I know, it would mean I would have to relocate the bonnet release handle but still would be worth a hassle, I would think...

Wild E. Coyote said:
Actually, I would like the steering to be higher up and closer to me. Been thinkin' on putting in an adjustable MK1 focus steering mechanism, just have to find a good one and cheap…
I know, it would mean I would have to relocate the bonnet release handle but still would be worth a hassle, I would think...

Just get a more dished steering wheel

Here's some pics that may help. The first couple show how much it is lowered (I think it works out at a couple of inches, measured at the steering wheel).

11253458956_48763de4b0_c.jpg

11253461916_172938a022_c.jpg

Apologies for the blurry photo. I think the key is in getting the bolts lowered?

11253436105_9021392fc8_c.jpg

Maybe we hacked the studs off and replaced with bolts lower down? Or did we turn the plate upside down? Hopefully you can compare to your car and work it out.

11253439265_69e527d811_c.jpg

Back