Head gasket???

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyc1230

I have been having rough idle problems for a while now, as posted in another thread, I have replaced the coil pack, ht leads, spark plugs, fuel filter and the injector rail with injectors & fuel regulator from a low mileage car sorced from Ian G. The car does have a water leak around the thermostat housing, that I intend to fix tomorrow, and is always full of air locks. There is no sign of any water in the oil either on the dipstick or on the filler cap.
I have noticed that when the car is ticking over roughly if I release the pressure from the water system by slightly undoing the filler cap tickover returns to normal, as smooth as any other puma.
Is this a sign that the head gasket is on its way out?
Engine is 1.7 with 145k on the clock & its a 52 plate.

Not really hard to start and there is no pool of water on the floor, it looses about 1/2 a litre in 300 miles, but you can see all the fur around the thermostat housing.
Ginger Tom said:
Is it hard to start in the mornings? Does the water leak out the thermostat cause the car to leave a pool of plant on the floor?

I thought it might be, just the fact that there is no sign of water in the oil. I think that there is a small leak into no.2 cylinder that only shows up when there is a pressure build up. When the car was hooked up to a diagnostic machine the only fault was no.2 injector kept switching between yes & no to a fault. Also the engine management light came on yesterday, I swapped the injector rail this afternoon & after a short drive it went out.
Ginger Tom said:
Hmmm, the bubbling in the header tank would suggest either, best case head gasket gone compression to water side or porous/cracked head

I will be taking the car to TREMONA in the morning & see what Richard has to say, Im pretty fed up with it at the moment so might just break it & look for another one. All dependant on cost though

Just been to see Richard at Tremona, not good news, Head gasket will not have gone due to the make-up of them, it might well be a cracked head or block :'( but as there is no water in the oil it may well go on for another 30k. Just drive it untill it stops then source a replacment engine or get another car. Its just not worth the cost of trying to sort this engine.

Latest posts

Back