help/advice with my rev limit.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigal82

well here goes and im hopeing someone has some answers or suggestions.

my track puma as some of you know has basically a full frp engine. it has an lms inlet manifold which is meant to flow slightly more than the frp airbox with front air feed, frp cams, frp inlet, frp full system and frp mapping.

now the car pulls well but is still only making 136bhp and its been tested at 3 different places which have all been inbetween 133-138 so i know its pretty bang on.

but the bloody thing will not rev over 6800 rpm.

it has the frp map taken from my frp installed and on my frp it revs to 7250, so my track car should as well. me and ollie my mechanic have also used another frp ecu which in the puma engined fiesta we tried it in revved to over 7200, we then put it in my track puma and it would cut out at 6800 rpm, bloody crazy i know.

so we tried another different map that someone said was the frp map and still it wont rev over 6800 rpm.

now im properly confused as from my understanding there isnt anything else that controls the revs or is there??

im at the stage where im getting a higher spec piper cams put in and want some custom mapping but i dont want to start if this problem cant be solved.

the car is starting to tail off at about 6400 rpm and this is why its not making the proper power that it should be where it should be like my frp and still be pulling hard at 7000 rpm. it just seems like even though we have tried 3 different ecu's that for some reason it wont forget the standard puma map. the car is a 98 reg which used to have a muff ecu installed.

any help at all would be so much appreciated as no one seems to have the answer and its driving me mad.

thankyou

alan.

03.jpg

02.jpg

The only one thing comes to mind crank or cam sensor which are usually used to measure the revs i.e rev limit
Did ollie read the ecu for any codes i.e relating to sensor failure?

The only common difference is that ,if you tried another ecu which was a tape ecu with the frp map and you got the same result then you need to check the loom or the pin out th ecu

Kit like the omex rev limiter,shift light kit connects to the coil and reads from the coil.

That's the only thing Ollie can think of is the cam sensor or gearbox speedo drive but he's done a diagnostics and both seem to be operating correctly. It's so strange.

Everything else works with the ecu spot on.

Kind of coming to the conclusion that I will have to get an omex ecu and just do away with that part of the ford one and set it to 7500 at least ;-). But it's alot of money I don't have right now :-(.

bigal82 said:
That's the only thing Ollie can think of is the cam sensor or gearbox speedo drive but he's done a diagnostics and both seem to be operating correctly. It's so strange.

Everything else works with the ecu spot on.

Kind of coming to the conclusion that I will have to get an omex ecu and just do away with that part of the ford one and set it to 7500 at least ;-). But it's alot of money I don't have right now :-(.

If you go aftermarket why don't you consider throttle bodies instead of the LMS?
Although i am guessing you must have forked around 500 for the LMS. The omex kit is about 2k complete with jenvy's

Are you sure about your ecu or even the maps being genuine frp maps maybe the other option is to try your ecu on another car?

m8 I am shocked that is all it makes?Maybe the mapping is the issue and hence an omex would allow more bhp to be released?

Voa said:
bigal82 said:
If you go aftermarket why don't you consider throttle bodies instead of the LMS?
Although i am guessing you must have forked around 500 for the LMS. The omex kit is about 2k complete with jenvy's

Are you sure about your ecu or even the maps being genuine frp maps maybe the other option is to try your ecu on another car?

m8 I am shocked that is all it makes?Maybe the mapping is the issue and hence an omex would allow more bhp to be released?

Im deffo not spending another 2k plus on this car I'd rather scrap it for parts and buy a faster car, I've ploughed far too much into it already.

I know it's 100% an Frp map.it was copied from my Frp and pasted into my tape ecu in the track puma, and as I say the other Frp tape ecu me and Ollie tried revved to over 7 in the fiesta then only 6800 in mine.

It's driving me mad lol.

It made 132.2 twice before lms inlet and went unto 136.4 with inlet and bigger tb.

It would make at least 10bhp more if it would rev right Grrr.

Tps isn't just used at idle but if a puma then should be ok, does the mondeo throttle body open the same amount as the puma one under full throttle?

yeah all the same, i changed over the linkage and and used the same throttle cable etc.

might see if the cam sensor is at fault as i really do need more revs, it still feels quicker than my frp but it needs more :).

I would also consider trying your standard puma tb as well?

hi, just to let you know ive got the same throttle body as you and mine revs past the 7k with a tape ecu and a custom map done by puma build on a dreamscience unit, so you shouldnt have a problem with the tb stopping it from revving out

I'm thinking it's the crank sensor breaking down at high rpms. Could be a faulty sensor or sensor gap problem. Try switching the sensor from the fiesta. Worth a try!

madhillbilly17 said:
hi, just to let you know ive got the same throttle body as you and mine revs past the 7k with a tape ecu and a custom map done by puma build on a dreamscience unit, so you shouldnt have a problem with the tb stopping it from revving out

Fair enough :grin: unlikely to be throttle body then , more likely to be a sensor , strange the ecu isn't registering a fault.You also say the car is running smooth and seems to be on the power?

I would have expected some hesitation if there was a sensor issue.

As mrMechanix said Try checking the sensor gap.If you want the replace the sensor they are about £20 - £25 new.

The crankshaft sensor is the longer thinner one and the camshaft sensor is the shorter fatter one

Camshaft sensor

CS1110_thumb.jpg

Crankshaft sensor

crankshaft-position-sensor~9585919.jpg

Latest posts

Back