Help ME!!! Multi electrical hell

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethanfitz

I need masses of help...

I brought a 1.7 recently (sadly that means my 1.4 is now for sale :-( ) however the electrics in this car are mystifying me...

Firstly my head unit (kenwood something) wont work in the new 1.7, it makes a sound when i connect it but the display just wont turn on! so i tested it back in the 1.4 works fine!!! to confuse matters even more i connected the old ford headunit into the 1.7 and it worked ?!?!?!?!?!?!

does anyone have a clue what could be happening here???

Secondly... when HID's are installed are there modifications to the headlamp and any wiring changes? basically i want to change them back to the standard bulbs (use my osram nightbreakers) and im hoping they will just be a easy swap back?

Also when i switch the headlights on (with the hid's atm) it sounds like the motor for the headlamp leveler is continuously running (and i don't think it works).... will this be fixed if i remove them?

Thirdly i think i am missing some fuses or they are in the wrong place... as the fuses look quite different to the ones in the 1.4... can anyone take a pic of their 1.7 fuse box for me?

And finally (i need to get a picture of this) but there is a wire next to the engine that is just twisted together... i mean what the hell is it... when i get a pic up maybe someone can help me with that to..

This 1.7 is turning out to be a nightmare... i payed quite a bit for it (some will notice it when i finish my stuff an put a pic up) and im have to do alot to it to fix the (for lack of a better word) botch jobs of the previous owner... im off to a salvage yard on friday to get some roof jutters, arch liners and a multitude of interior clips and fittings as when i removed the rear door cars i found everything was bloody missing!!! oh and it need two new front tyres, the suspension raising, wheel alignment and i have taken out alot of the dash to re spray it to my tastes...

all this while my 1.4 sits there happily going through her MOT today ...

anyway rant over please help!!!

oh by the way its a 2001 puma if that makes any difference... a pic of the central fuse box and the one under the bonnet from a similar puma would be great if anyone has it...

Download the "Owner's Guide" here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fq7p9omol87m2wj/ford+puma+owner+manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the replies guys.... right an update...

after sorting out the fuse box i know i am missing the bottom two blue fuses on the right of the central fuse box... i believe one is for the central locking (the previous owner had a red one in there!) and the other is for seat height adjustment (which i dont think i have). so i will get some more for them.... oh and my back light came back on after i sorted this out so i guess the new bulbs are just spares now...

I have swapped out the Rubbish HID's for my Osram Nightbrakers from my 1.4 (put the original bulbs back in the 1.4) thankfully an easy swap out (phew...)

I have found and printed a guide on how to sort out the leveling motor on a headlamp which i will attempt this weekend...

And i have sorted out the dodgy wiring under the bonnet... removed the loosely put on chock block and untwisted the two exposed wires and then spliced everything back together... engine still runs so i assume i did good :grin:

The one problem i have left is the Headunit... the display just wont come on... it makes a sound when i connect the harness but when i put the key in and turn the battery on there is no display (or sound). Like i say above it works fine in the 1.4 with the same harness so nothing is wrong with the headunit or harness. Also when i hook up the original ford radio to the 1.7 (from the 1.4) that works fine... Does any one know what to do about this head unit problem :'( i need tunes :'(

All sorted now :grin: one of the fuses was slightly damaged really hard to see but changed... Now everything works wooooop..... Thanks for the pics again I have sorted my fuse box to as it should be in the manual :thumbs:

Hi,

i cant remember actually (bad memory i know :? ) it was labeled in the manual and i think it was a red one but i cant remember which one.... if you don't have the owners manual there is a link to it posted here.. pages 100-103 is where the fuses are labeled... hope that helps let me know how you get on...

A couple hours pissing about with a multimeter, 3 radios and 3 batterys I found the root cause to be the accessory power cable must have been damaged somewhere between the ignition and the radio.
Finding the exact location of the problem would have been a dashboard out job so instead I just put a new wire in and my radio is now back up and running perfectly

Latest posts

Back