HID light kits

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnnicol

Hi folks, was thinking of upgrading my lights to HID's, and just wondered if anybody has used the kits on eBay, they look and seem to be saying all the right things, but just wondered if anybody has tried and tested them??.

Fundamental problem is that they are not legal in the UK. I fitted some on my MX-5 years ago just before the Government issued a statement clarifying their legality. It's a shame as the standard lights are so crap :-(

Bob

In my country they are legal as long as you either have adjustable headlights or headlight washers. I bought mine from Aliexpress for about 12-13GBP. Comes with ballast and bulbs, only thing you need to do is make a hole in the back of you're headlight cover. Have then for about 6 months now and really showing it's benefits now it's getting dark early, I went with the 4300K and the light it gives is white/yellowish.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/55W-XENON-HID-KIT-SLIM-BALLAST-H1-H3-H7-H8-9-11-9003-HB2-9005-9006/2052591726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks folks for the information, I'm surprised we can't use them here, when there for sale on eBay UK ??. Thanks anyway for taking the time.

It's been widely debated on this forum over the years regarding the legalities.

People have had MOTs passed with them fitted but whenever I've read about it they shouldn't be fitted and should fail MOT as Brian says there without suitable washers, auto-levelling, beam patterns etc.

They should pass the MOT OK but they are still illegal according to the regulations. All a bit of a mess really. I can see the problem though; I reckon most drivers never touch the levelling when they have a load in the back and HIDs certainly dazzle more than halogens. There are so many things that are a "little bit illegal" that most people wouldn't worry about (e.g exhaust louder than original OEM) but I've not fitted HIDs because of the potential of being accused of dazzling in an accident situation.

Bob

Back