Horrible Headlights..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattJAbela

I have searched for this and cant find it on here..sorry if i missed it.

Basically, the outside of my headlights have a horrible residue on them, cannot get it off for anything, tried cleaning, glass polish, normal polish, everything..just nothings sorted it..anyone got any ideas??

Thanks
Matt

Thats what i was thinking..just wanted to check before i go and buy new items, then i get told i can buy a product for £2 that will make them like new lol

yep get another set and polish em up, nothing to abrasive mind, I find car polish does the job on mine

T-Cut metallic, followed by Megs Scratch-X and a ruddy good polish is worth a punt - new headlights are £120 a corner.

There does come a point where this is no longer effective though, and the "decaying plastic frost" comes back. I had to get some second hand ones which were in slightly better condition than mine as mine have had it, and didn't fancy forking out the best part of £250 for brand new ones.

IIRC you're in the Essex area - might want to get in touch with Ben G see if he's got any more headlights knocking about. I got mine off him and they were in great nick.

In actual fact - aren't you buying his OZ ultraleggers off him anyway? :thumbs:

Lol..if i had known he had that..would have had it off him..picked the wheels up last night!!

Try Meguirs Plastx the puma headlamps are plastic so needs something suitable , it has worked for me on plastic headlamps before.

If you know someone into detailing and has a rotary polisher - you can sometimes revive the headlamps that way using a light abrasive polish ........

slayllian said:
I use a rotary polisher on em, works the trick for a little while!

Was it fairly straight forward m8 , heard it can be tricky i.e balancing speed with pressure when using the rotary polisher and being careful not to get the plastic melting ....... heard some horror stories hence not trying it myself.

evilrob said:
T-Cut metallic, followed by Megs Scratch-X and a ruddy good polish is worth a punt - new headlights are £120 a corner.

There does come a point where this is no longer effective though, and the "decaying plastic frost" comes back. I had to get some second hand ones which were in slightly better condition than mine as mine have had it, and didn't fancy forking out the best part of £250 for brand new ones.
Strangely, this combination is exactly what I found worked really well! The TCut metallic is much less abrasive. The Meg's less abrasive still and then AutoGlym super resin even less. You'll be amazed how well it works... until they cloud up again in about 3 weeks time... :roll:

Might I suggest that this aviation product could be worth a try first?

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/micro-mesh-acrylic-restoral-kit-kr70.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatdonger said:
slayllian said:
I use a rotary polisher on em, works the trick for a little while!

Was it fairly straight forward m8 , heard it can be tricky i.e balancing speed with pressure when using the rotary polisher and being careful not to get the plastic melting ....... heard some horror stories hence not trying it myself.

No never had a problem, I never use much pressure, seem to get more speed and better shine, they don't melt, just come up shiny, I sometimes use it on plastics when I want them shiny too :grin:

Back