how to remove rear bushes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonne have to do this Thursday, after seeing this not looking forward to it one little bit.

Holy sweet Jesus how the hell did you do this in your driveways?! Nearly 6 hours for me thanks to some rusty ABS connecters and wheel cylinders. I HATED it!

yep it isnt nice!

el-poo'd; those stainless bolts your laughing at are on there SECOND car....and they havent rusted, making life sooo much easier :)

I wouldn't have thought that the bush bolts need to be high tensile, as long as they have a high anti shear value (the forces are acting across the diameter, not along the length). In fact I would say that having high tensile bolts would be detrimental to the strength of the assembly.

Discuss!

mmmm...interesting thought.

I believe even though the forces are acting across the bolt your still going to get stress in tension as the bolt may be forced off centre if it's too soft thus causing said tension along the length of the bolt. The fact that stainless is used could in this case be a bad one as any stetching will undoubtedly stretch the threads and cause the nut to sieze. Then, no matter how rust proof the fixing, it'll still need cutting out as you won't undo the bugger...lol.

A high tensile fixing would negate this issue.

Discuss further...lol.

Just removed one of the bushes and this made it easy... took about an hour in total... now waiting for replacement to arrive... if fitting new one is as easy i will be a happy bunny...

i just put stainless nyloc nuts on the ford bolts to stop corrosion

ScubaSteve said:
el dude said:
Stainless bolts in the rear beam...lol
The long high tensile M12 bolt that goes through the bush is F1127011...
:)

where did you get that code? that part number is for a bolt for a mondeo not even listed for the puma lol

the puma bolt is 1661753, could well be identical though

Just ordered 2 x nut/bolts for my pending rear bush change and Ford tell me the numbers have changed for the Puma. They are...

1127011 - long high tensile M12 bolt
1381971 - extra strength nyloc M12 nut

Thought I'd post this to save any confusion :)

Latest posts

Back