How to test ford coil pack / problem at low revs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex'

Hello,

i have somes problems on acceleration at low revs (betwen 1000-2500 rpm) with my Puma,
and i don't found what is wrong ...

i would test the coil pack with multimeter,
to control if it have a problem on the primary circuit ....

Thanks

Hi Alex
The best way to test for a faulty coil pack is with a code reader plugged into the cars OBD port as coil pack problems can be intermittent.
Barry

Hi,

i have already search DTC in the PCM with 3 various diagnostic device

an Launch CreaderV
a clone of Delphi DS150e
and a very quick free test (only search dtc) with the IDS of a local Ford dealer

And don't have any DTC

That's why I tested further diagnosis methods,
by controlling the main elements of the engine management system

Tis but just told me to use the WDS2000 to control coil pack and other part
but it has totally disappeared from ford garages here.

But I'm not sure that the problem comes from there because the problem is very random

Hello Alex

Did you find problem.
I have similar problem. Random hesitating acceleration in low revs.
New spark plugs, new Coil Pack, Cleaned and tested MAF, Cleaned PCV, Cleaned and tested ICV, tested TPS, Repaired vacuum hoses, Cleaned and tested lambda.

ANY IDEAS... ANYONE??

Puma 1.7 -98

When my mates coil pack went down we just swapped mine onto it and job sorted so if you know someone else with a Puma or a similar age Zetec SE engine Fiesta try swapping.
Barry

Hello,

I have clean up the points and ground wire in engine bay and protect it with copper grease.

and, i found a connector of engine loom under the coil pack contaminated by a little coolant leak

i have clean it and i make an ecu reset

for the moment, its appears to work well

Hi Alex
I hope it's sorted it for you but that coolant leak will need sorting as it's a common fault . The hose under the coilpack tends to leak as it comes out of the aluminium casing and leads to corrosion on the stub that the hose joins to.
Barry

Back